I Tried Out Gen-Kick Perks Before They Get Nerfed
Im not really a "person of the meta" as one would say. I typically run unique builds that typically just work because they catch people off guard.
But I thought it would be at least nice to do a bit of dabbling in the meta before it gets nerf, and all I can say is "wow... this feels awful to use".
I think my main issue with it is that Im just so use to getting into chases and going for downs that breaking chase just to kick a Generator feels bad. And I know their effects are strong, and sometimes even necessary to have, but I really just cant bring myself to consistently bring them because the playstyle it promotes I really dislike.
I honestly do not know how people have managed to tolerate playing Killer with these perks, they just feel so horrible to use. Surely Im not the only person to feel this way?
Comments
I think my main issue with it is that Im just so use to getting into chases and going for downs that breaking chase just to kick a Generator feels bad. And I know their effects are strong, and sometimes even necessary to have, but I really just cant bring myself to consistently bring them because the playstyle it promotes I really dislike.
This is sort of what I felt as well. I never really played into the gen kick meta because I'd rather chase, and I think dropping a chase to kick a gen is (was?) a) boring b) made players worse overall because they prioritized it over chase c) half of the time the survivor escapes and gets off because you didn't commit (at least I did). So I won't miss this meta, and hey, I hope this means chases will be fun again when I play survivor!
Usually we don't break chase to kick a gen, we kick gens before chases start or after a chase ends. Kicking a gen mid chase is really a strat that works well when you have Brutal Strength which speeds up the break action a bit. It also depends on what gen kicking perks you chose because they are definitely not made equal. Perks focused on regression are definitely more a before or after chase type deal. Something like Eruption or Dragon's Grip can work mid chase as long as you aren't in a situation where you'll lose too much distance.
They aren't for everyone especially if you play killers that typically are naturally good a chasing to begin with. You might get more value out of something passive or state related to just give you a little bit of support while you're doing your thing. Kicking gens is generally something more patrol oriented players go for and until recently survivors and the devs wanted killers to work more for their game pressure. Now, everyone hates gen kicking and now gen kicking for the sake of slowing gens is getting nerfed basically across the board.