Perk Change Idea - Scourge Hook: Hangman's Trick

I don't think it's controversial to say that Hangman's Trick isn't a particularly popular or useful perk. Certainly it doesn't do nothing, but what it does is inconsistent and lacking in punch, leading to it not being picked all that often - at least to my knowledge.

With that in mind, I'd like to pitch pivoting this perk to a completely different niche, and have it be a good support perk for the Scourge Hook mechanic instead of the mediocre information perk it currently serves as. With that in mind, I propose the following two effects for Scourge Hook: Hangman's Trick.

  • When carrying a survivor, all survivors within 16m of a Scourge Hook have their aura revealed.
  • When a survivor is unhooked from a Scourge Hook, that Scourge Hook reverts to a normal hook, and a normal hook somewhere on the map becomes a Scourge Hook. Hooks that are occupied by survivors or broken via sabotage or completed sacrifice cannot be chosen.

With these two effects, you'd get a beefed up version of the aura read that only applies to a few hooks, but the main draw would be the ability to swap around your Scourge Hooks to try and address the RNG nature of hook spawns, letting you play around more of the map whenever you have a build that revolves around having white hooks available.

What do we think?

Comments

  • That effect actually brings more RNG for scourge hooks.

    With this you need other scourge perks, but because of this perk, you will probably lose your best scourge hook spawns.


    What might be good:

    You start game without scourge hooks, but each time survivor is hooked for first time, that hook becomes scourge hook for rest of the game.


    Removes random effect from scourge perks and promotes going for different survivors.

  • @DaddyMyers_Mori said:

    That effect actually brings more RNG for scourge hooks.

    With this you need other scourge perks, but because of this perk, you will probably lose your best scourge hook spawns.

    What might be good:

    You start game without scourge hooks, but each time survivor is hooked for first time, that hook becomes scourge hook for rest of the game.

    Removes random effect from scourge perks and promotes going for different survivors.

    Well, yeah- they're meant to have RNG. This change isn't supposed to eliminate that, it's meant to make up for bad or mediocre RNG, and let you play with more of the map available.

    I don't think the killer should have that much control over the placement of scourge hooks, but I do think the ability to cycle them around would be both useful and in keeping with their intended effect.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3396436#Comment_3396436

    Well, yeah- they're meant to have RNG. This change isn't supposed to eliminate that, it's meant to make up for bad or mediocre RNG, and let you play with more of the map available.

    I don't think the killer should have that much control over the placement of scourge hooks, but I do think the ability to cycle them around would be both useful and in keeping with their intended effect.

    If I want to decrease RNG, I use agitation.

    This could screw me a lot, basically rolling a dice all the time.


    With Pain Resonance nerf, scourge perks are overall less interesting, so not sure if I would go this way with rework.