Killer Main - Why I'm Quitting

800-hour killer main here. First off, I want to say I WANT to love this game but holy hell it is just not fun anymore.

I've been trying to figure out why, but I think the biggest reason it is 'not fun' comes down to the word demoralizing. There are so many things that demoralize you when playing killer that it just makes you want to quit.

  • Chases take too long / gens are too fast. Every single game I play the first chase always costs me 2 gens. I play at high MMR so the first down tends to take a good 2+ mins from the game launching as the survivor holds W and drops every pallet or runs to well-known strong loops. By the time I've hooked them 2 gens pop (because survivors spawn on gens) and another is on the way. Basically 50% of the survivor's objective is complete and I have about 10% done.
  • Second chances. Dead hard, flashlights, pallet stuns, sabotage, body blocking the list goes on. Nothing is as demoralizing as finally outplaying a survivor only for a second chance mechanic to pop and all your effort is wasted. In high MMR if just one of these going off in the early game its gg so long as survivors don't do anything stupid.
  • Playstyle. Because chases take so long, and gens go so fast you cannot afford to spread hooks or enjoy a long chase. The game is forcing killers into playing an unfun camping / tunnelling playstyle and I hate that. I want to chase and spread hooks; I want the survivors to have fun too but if you want to 'win' you can't. I feel like an a-hole ruining some guy's game because if I don't tunnel someone ASAP gens just go too fast.
  • Maps. HOLY HELL maps are broken. Why are they so big? Why do they have so many interconnected loops? Why do god windows and pallets exist? Why are the hooks so damn far apart and so few? Why is the floor so cluttered so I can't see scratch marks? Why do survivors spawn literally next to gens? This is probably my biggest gripe with the game. The map design is beyond awful, and every new map seems to make it even worse.
  • Survivor Icons. I really like that the survivors don't need voice chat to know what their fellow survivors are doing, and it was a very good change to the game, however, it makes survivors MUCH more efficient with their time, for example: If you see one of your survivor friends is on hook and the other 2 are doing gens, then you go to the rescue. No longer do 3 people turn up to unhook just to waste their time running all the way back. This means the 30 seconds wasted on 2 survivors doesn't happen and now 2/3 of a gen is complete thanks to the icons. I don't want this removed; it is a great change, but it makes the killers job that much harder. You are basically going against SWF level communication every match and the game is just not balanced around that.

In the end the most fun part about this game is the chase for both killer and survivor. The mind games, the outplays, the moonwalks, hiding your light, double backing, swing through pallet, the mix ups. It's so much fun to chase a good survivor but if you do you are throwing the game.

I'll probably be back in 6 months or so because nothing scratches the DBD itch like this game, so I hope things are a little bit better by then but let me know if your experience playing killer has similar frustrations to this or what your opinion is.

Comments

  • @Nazzzak said:

    Regarding chases- it's not unusual for a couple gens to pop early. This is because while you chase one survivor, the other three survivors have nothing else to do except gens.

    Your first hook is the one that starts the game, because that's when the pressure starts. One survivor hooked, one going for the unhook/heal, one now in the next chase with you, and only one on gens. And since i know killer mains respect Otz, I'll point out that he has a video where he says the same regarding the ideal chain of events in a game. And if that one survivor who is free to be on a gen is instead ducking away scared, or messing with totems or chests, then even better for you. Because then no one is on a gen. And this happens way more than you realize - the new HUD shows me exactly how little my team mates spend on gens lol

    I can tell you from a solo survivor main perspective, that 2 gens going off early mean zilch to me. To killer mains, your minds are probably saying 'the game is half over, I've already lost'. But survivors see these games all the time, and more often than not they don't live to see endgame anyway. Many times 2-3 gens pop early and the killer has a 4k before the last gen pops. Pressure is the best weapon a killer can have. And I'll add - the biggest mistake is overcommitting. If the first survivor is good in chase then abandon it asap. Guaranteed they'll be altruistic asf later in the game and it'll be their downfall. And Corrupt Intervention is a must have if early gen pops are really messing with your mind.

    Can't agree more with the gens popping early. Unless the survivors are extremely uncoordinated, you will almost always lose the first two (and maybe even 3) gens. When there is 2 gens left to be done (4 to patrol) is when the game kicks in to high gear. I find a lot of the games I play lately, survivors are quick to do gens away from the killer and lock themselves in an unintentional 3 or 4 gen. From that point, so long as some pressure is applied and you don't over commit to a chase you are likely going to turn a game around. I lost track of how many games I had lately where teams got down to the last gen and I only had one hook, only to turn around and obtain a 4k

  • I can definitely sympathize with you on this. Playing killer can be rough sometimes. Some days I have a series of good games that make me feel almost unstoppable and other days it is match after match of being tormented and having losses thrown in my face, without feeling like MMR is making things any easier.


    As others have mentioned, try not to let the first two gens popping early get to you. Unless the survivors are super uncoordinated you will pretty much always lose those first 2 gens. Once you get down to 1 or 2 gens remaining is where you want to really enforce the pressure. By this point you ideally want to have most of the pallets on the map down or at least two people dead on next hook (I left out having one dead, because you said you like to spread the hooks out, so ideally you wouldn't want to kill them super quick).

    As far as second chances go, a good bit of them can be countered fairly easily. You just have to remember to play around it and don't rush to do things. For flashlights look at a wall if possible, turn the other direction from a survivor, or sit there a minute and see if you can bait the save. Most of the time this will work. For flashbangs, if used in a chase you could look up, otherwise the same as for flashlights. If both of these things are a serious issue for you, you could bring Lightborn. For pallet stuns the only solution I have to offer is to try to bait them as well or check around the pallet before pickup.

    As far as Dead Hard is concerned, do not listen to all those saying it is your fault for not waiting. If they are in open ground and you haven't seen them use another exhaustion perk, just give it an extra second. If you rush to swing when they are in the open this would be self sabotaging. If they use it on a pallet or window vault where you have to lunge or let them create distance, you are unfortunately screwed as waiting it out isn't an option and that is where I think some people are overlooking. There is no way around it and you will have to eat it unless you are running perks or add-ons to give exhaustion or somehow manage to corral them away from these stronger loops


    As far as maps go, I have no real input on this one. You are right. A good portion of the maps don't feel balanced. They feel like they are catered for one side. The main issue being the fact gens are too spread out. This is something a lot of people are begging the devs to work on and I can only hope they see the pleas.


    I don't expect this post to change your mind on taking a break in any way. If that is what you need to do then go ahead. I take breaks myself from time to time. I hope you can enjoy your time away and come back in a better head space when hopefully the maps are fixed

  • @ProfessorDunwich said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377000#Comment_3377000

    I’ve seen Otz and d3ad hit a Dead Harding survivor. Let’s put the idea that it only works against bad Killers to rest.

    The thing is not if they hit it. The thing is do they regular lose to it. Do they? Is their kill rate below 50%? I highly doubt that.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/368647/killer-main-why-im-quitting

    Dead hard, flashlights, pallet stuns, sabotage, body blocking the list goes on.

    Props for this one. Very few killers actually point these out as issues (Dead Hard excepted, of course). Particularly flashlights and sabos are a huge part of what makes bully squads so awful to face.

    Flashlights are pretty easy to counter once you realize they are there. If possible look at a while. If you can't do that, bait a pickup. Someone will likely reveal themselves to get into position. From there you just have to chase far enough, come back and pickup facing the other way. If this still isn't working, Lightborn makes you completely immune to blinds.

    I can agree with the sabo builds as normally when I see toolboxes I think "Oh cool, gen box" but on my way to a hook see them drop down for a sabo. There is a few ways to deal with this. The first is if you are close enough, slap the person breaking the hook twice. The guy you have will get out, but the person breaking hooks has taken their spot. The other option is drop who you are carrying, leaving them slugged and chase the guy breaking hooks. More often then not they won't have a plan, and you can get an easy down while forcing pressure because a third guy has to pick up the one you slugged.


    Hope this helps

  • @Pulsar said:

    You almost certainly do not play at high MMR if your chases are taking two minutes to end.

    Pretty much every Killer main goes through this phase. It's basically the "git gud or quit" phase. You start finding Survivors who are actually decent at the game and it's a rough adjustment from the potatoes you're probably used to.

    You just have to power through it and learn from people that are better than you.

    I think this could be phrased a bit better.


    If you are willing to let a chase go on for 2 minutes, or any amount of time where you know it could cost you the game, you should improve your ability to mindgame/corral survivors. If this is not possible, you should know when to drop a chase to find a new target, being content with the pallets you've removed from the map.

  • @hailxsatanxeveryxday said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3376230#Comment_3376230

    Then it would ultimately be better for survivors if we got rid of it, right?

    I see it multiple times every match. Those survivors who do run it must just be confused, then, since the other exhaustion perks are so much stronger and completely uncounterable, and it would be better for them if they were forced to use other exhaustion perks.

    Every survivor main on the forums seems to be in agreement on this: other exhaustion perks are so much better and DH is completely counterable in every circumstance.

    Why don't we just nerf Dead Hard into the ground and make everyone happy?

    No, because it's fun to use and try to get value out of. Contrary to what most of the people in this awful community seem to think, the game should actually be fun to play.

    Also, it was already nerfed into the ground.

  • @hailxsatanxeveryxday said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3376230#Comment_3376230

    Then it would ultimately be better for survivors if we got rid of it, right?

    I see it multiple times every match. Those survivors who do run it must just be confused, then, since the other exhaustion perks are so much stronger and completely uncounterable, and it would be better for them if they were forced to use other exhaustion perks.

    Every survivor main on the forums seems to be in agreement on this: other exhaustion perks are so much better and DH is completely counterable in every circumstance.

    Why don't we just nerf Dead Hard into the ground and make everyone happy?

    B-b-but, but, but......my "fun" 'hahaha screw you, in your face' moment at the END of the SECOND chase where the killer has already wasted probably a minute on me and can only decide to go for an additional 20-30 chase or waste all their effort until now. /S

  • @Grum said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377090#Comment_3377090

    No, because it's fun to use and try to get value out of. Contrary to what most of the people in this awful community seem to think, the game should actually be fun to play.

    Also, it was already nerfed into the ground.

    Yeah.... the "fun" at the expense of the killer.

    Dh is just the most "screw you, in your face" option.

    The killer has already put in 2 chases of 20-30 seconds and now is left with the option of going for a third or drop chase and waste the invested minute. And that on every hook state, without camping or tunneling. So fun.

  • @Grum said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377090#Comment_3377090

    No, because it's fun to use and try to get value out of. Contrary to what most of the people in this awful community seem to think, the game should actually be fun to play.

    Also, it was already nerfed into the ground.

    Alch ring/ iri tag is fun to play, I'm sure it's so fun to play against right?

1 2 ›