Early Game vs Late Game

I just want a group discussion on this topic. If you had to choose to run a build that has a stronger Early Game or a stronger Late game, which of the two would you choose?

Would you try and demoralize them early or snatch victory from them in defeat? Which feels more satisfying to you? Which do you think is more successful? Just mention whatever you want in why you prefer one or the other, even if your more of a middleman, just choose a side for the sake of the topic~

———

I’ll just say I’m a Late Game kind of guy. Sucks when I can’t get a perk to proc or my late game build doesn’t pay off but the mental reassurance that I still have a ‘trap card’ in play can help me push through the worse situations early and I never personally considered Gens as importantly as some others. I means some Killers act like it’s life-blood and turn doom and gloom when they start flying. It’s just a source of energy to open doors, go ahead and pop them, doesn’t mean I lost or your going to live lol.

Comments

  • Stronger Early game usually wins out, that's why Corrupt intervention is still a must pick for so many people. A lot of people panic when the first few gens get done but the game isn't over by that point.

    Personally I play with the logic of plan A plan B, Plan B usually being no way out or something to that effect.

    It depends on the Killer though, some killers excel in sacrificing good early game for a better late game. Myers/Trapper/Oni are killers who can turn a seeming loss into a decisive victory with their powers.

  • @Moz said:

    In this game the best defense is offense. There are just too many resources currently in the game and with the current meta it's too difficult to win by attrition consistently. I try to build up very heavy pressure ASAP. I have removed corrupt for lethal on most of my killers. Just depending on how strong their map control is. Perks like: no way out, remember me, blood warden and NOED are not particularly great '2nd chance perks' because they all have hard counters and provide zero utility mid match unlike survivor's 2nd chance perks.

    The only decent end game perk I can think of is Devour hope, but that is high risk/ high reward and only really effective on certain killers. You could argue that it isn't even an end game perk because it at least has mid-game utility.

    STBFL would like a word

  • All things considered, I go for the early game as killer. If you can find somebody quickly and get things started, you're better off. If the survivors are 4-strong during EGC, an endgame build is still pretty risky and the gameplay is a lot more hectic than I want it to be.

    The only time I seriously did an endgame build was for an old-school rift challenge that forced you to kill x number of people during EGC in a single match. It's was NOED/Blood Warden, and I only killed the number I needed for the challenge, but they were still really mad. (And it still took a few tries.)

  • As a survivor main, I say go early. Games start out strongest for survivors, with plenty of resources/pallets. As the game progresses, those resources fall and the game (should) start to slide in the killers favour. I have many games where a couple gens will pop fast, and the game still ends in a 4k. If you're finding your games aren't going this way, I'd definitely try an early game build for awhile. Once you get that first hook, then you have 1 survivor going for the unhook/heal, 1 you've just engaged in the next chase, which leaves only 1 to sit on gens. Get that going early.