Is this supposed to happen? (hook bodyblock)
As you can see in the following clip I'm right next to Nea and I cannot get the unhook prompt because the killer is bodyblocking me. I know there have been some other instances where killer is bodyblocking hooks (namely Sadako), so I was wondering if this is supposed to be happening.
Watch "Dead by Daylight 2022.11.28 - 21.00.34.02_Trim" on Streamable.
Comments
You can - you even get the prompt at this moment:
The issue is, the Deathslinger's hitbox then blocks the area you'd be unhooking from, so he's blocking your ability to unhook from that particular angle.
EDIT: I think I misunderstood your initial question. Yes, that is meant to happen. A killer can bodyblock from a particular angle of the hook - what they shouldn't be able to do is FULLY bodyblock the hook to prevent it from being unhooked from ANY angle.
I got that before he swung, afterwards I couldn't get the prompt. That's why it was so weird.
It has been a thing for a long time. Your hitbox can slide during the grab cancel animation, so the killer can "bump" your hitbox out of the unhook zone and proceed to body block you.
Is it intended though or a bug? I don't understand, not that bugs can't become features ofc.
Highly doubt it's intended, but I've never heard one way or the other from a dev. There's something weird that happens between the survivor hitbox and the hook when the rescuer cancels the attempt.
Wish they'd address some stuff.
There's a limit to what angle you can unhook at, you were at the edge of that limit. You would have got the prompt to unhook, at which point the game would have pulled you around to the correct location to unhook from. However the killer was occupying that space, so the killers hitbox blocked you.
So yes, it's intended, insofar as the unhooking angle didn't extend as far around as where you were. It's like when you're standing under a pallet with the killer and don't get the prompt to drop it, because the killer is occupying the space that you would end up in if you dropped the pallet.
It's a matter of matching up actions with animations. In order for your arms to reach up to the survivor to unhook them, you need to be standing closer than where the game actually allows you to unhook from.
It's not a "bug" because nothing is happening contrary to the programming, but the programming is limited in what it can do, and could be better.
It's a thing and always has been since the change to allow people to be hooked/unhooked from more angles.
Its basically the killer stopping you getting enough room to get the save, he can only do this one side of the hook though and cant actually hit the other side without moving but it means they only need to watch one direction.
This is very common with highly competitive players when you stop an unhooking action as the killer will try to push/invade into the unhooking area to stop you having enough room to do it.
It's a fine tactic tbh, its rare and has counters that are so similar to normal unhook. As a solo you need to take bait a hit out, as a duo+ you can approach from all sides anyway.
It's worth noting there have been some bad hook spawns in the past which one side is blocked by an object though I haven't seen that in awhile
Not sure if it's been said but the reason you see the prompt is theres space in the unhooking area.
Your actual character isnt quite in position but pressing the prompt would kind suck you in (bit like pallet vacume in the past) it's just to make the prompt abit easier to access and was done in a change to unhook from more angles than just straight ahead.
If the killers position moved closer to you the prompt would go as you no longer have that space to vacuum into to get the save
Hope that helps if you wasnt sure :)
To further this: the counterplay to a killer doing this is to have a second survivor with you. Once the killer initiates the block, someone needs to stand on the other side of the killer to block them while the rescuer circles behind the hook to the other side. Then there's a survivor between the killer and the rescuer, which prevents the killer from grabbing the unhooker. Complete coinflip as to whether a solo teammate will know how to do this.
I know what you mean, we just didn't co-ordinate well. There were teammates there on the other side but they were too far away, so I think at that point I wanted to trade maybe.