Survivors Should Care About Killer's Fun

I see a lot of survivor players expecting the killer side to care about their fun - i.e. not tunnelling, not slugging, not camping, not sweating etc.

But what about survivors caring about KILLER'S fun? I've compiled a list of things survivors can do to increase the other side's fun - this way both sides can have fun, and that's the main goal, right?

Survivor Things to Do for Killer's Fun:

  • Chill out with the gens - if you see 2-3 gens popping very early, chill out. Go do a totem or open a chest. You don't want the game to end prematurely. It would be equivalent to tunnelling a person out very early in the game.
  • Chill out with SWF communication - if you're in a Discord voice call with your buddies, don't call out information that would not be available to you had you played solo. Immerse yourself more in the game and make the game fair and fun for BOTH sides.
  • Don't tunnel gens - very simple. If a killer downs a survivor near 99 % completed gen, don't go to gen to complete it while the killer is going to hook someone. Leave the gen, and come back to it later. The killer put pressure, he deserves that gen being left alone. And if you tunnel that gen, this is equivalent to camping a survivor in the last seconds to get the 2nd/the 3rd stage on a survivor.
  • Don't hold W too much. Survivor holding W is an extremely unfun thing for a killer - there is 0 interaction and very little counterplay. Chill out with the W button, and go for a loop. In the end, that's what both sides want, correct? Chases, mind games and fun for both sides
  • Try to avoid using God Pallets. God Pallets is the literal definition of antifun for the killer - no counterplay and 0 interaction. Try to avoid using God Pallets unless it's a dead zone and God Pallet is the only thing available in that area. That is if you care about both side's fun.


These are a few things that survivors can do to make the killer's game more interesting and fun. If you have any further suggestions, let me know - curious to hear them!

Comments

  • I understand where you're coming from, and in an ideal world, both sides would enjoy every match. However, this is just unrealistic: expecting the opposition to play how you deem fair/fun will only cause disappointment.

    For example, saying 'the killer deserves that gen being left alone" is really flawed, and is essentially the same as saying a killer shouldn't grab/attack a survivor who's at a hook for a rescue because 'they deserve the save', or not cleansing a 5-stack Devour Hope 'because the killer earned it'. You see the issue? Sure, these are nice/friendly ways to play, but it's a whole other thing to expect the opposite side to play in this way.

    As far as I'm concerned, aside from bad manners, cheating, or exploiting glitches, everything is fair game. Is being tunelled/camped fun for a survivor? No. Is having 3 gens pop before you even get a hook fun for a killer? Certainly not, but as I said, you can't expect every single of the thousands of players online at any given time to play exactly how you deem fun, fair, and interactive.

  • I certainly don’t need survivors to play mercifully with me. Even if 2-3 gens pop before I get a down, I generally still snowball with a single hook. Hooking one survivor, if one plays their cards right, quite often assures a 2-3K.

    As a survivor, I do not believe in providing reprieve to killers either. They’ll earn their win or they’ll lose.

  • @Ayodam said:

    I certainly don’t need survivors to play mercifully with me. Even if 2-3 gens pop before I get a down, I generally still snowball with a single hook. Hooking one survivor, if one plays their cards right, quite often assures a 2-3K.

    As a survivor, I do not believe in providing reprieve to killers either. They’ll earn their win or they’ll lose.

    This is generally me too! I think the problem is that some people have their minds set on that 4K kill/escape.

    Usually for me it comes down to a mistake either on my part of theirs and honestly I have more fun in a game where something “spontaneously” happens like that, than when I see people trying to actively cheese playstyles/mechanics to gain an advantage.

  • @almofan1001 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3279731#Comment_3279731

    Okay, Im just going to say it, the Killer's objective is hooks, the Survivor's objective is generators. Killers should be expected to get 2 Kills; or a better metric of 6 Hooks. Survivors should be expected to complete 5 generators.

    Kills are the main objective for killers, hooks are sub-objectives that lead to the main objective. Devs literally balance the game for kills.

    You can play the worst match of Killer you have ever played, get 3 Hooks, and still leave a match with a 3K. You can play the best match of Killer you have ever played and still leave a match with 8 Hooks but a 0K. Kills do not matter at all. Some of my most fun matches of Killers are ones where I perform well and Survivors also perform well.

    That is why devs have taken a stance and are balancing for kills now instead of both hooks/kills. Whether it's the right decision, time will tell. I don't think you can balance for kills and hooks at the same time.

    Some of my most fun matches of Killers are ones where I perform well and Survivors also perform well.

    Some of my MOST UNFUN matches where I perform well, and survivors are performing badly, and I get 1k at tops. You'd ideally want a fair game where the result is directly related to how each side has done in skilful areas, but often more than not, it is not (applies to both sides)

    Tunneling and Camping are good at building pressure, but they suck if you want to improve. If you want to actively get better at the game, and have more fun as a result of improvement, making sure everyone else has a fun and fair matches. Go for unique survivors. Go for more hooks. Otherwise you are directly shooting yourself in the foot.

    You can easily hit the skill cap of improvement on a lot of killers where you barely can get any better or make better decisions that influence the game. A lot of killer's powers are relatively simple and so is the gameplay loop of killer vs survivor. You can have 10k hours on Wraith, but it's very likely that there will be Wraiths with 1k hours who are nearly as good as you are. Additionally, there are plenty of things in the game that has no counterplay from the killer side, and as such, you "cannot improve" yourself in those areas.

    What you can definitely improve with time is strategy and reading the game as a killer. Knowing when to tunnel, dropping chase, prioritizing weak targets etc. And what do you mean you can't get better at the game while tunnelling? You can still chase the other 3 survivors and learn how to down them quickly. You can still learn how to pressure gens. You can still get better at map control. The only time you don't learn anything is when you literally face camp a survivor. In all other ways, you're improving one way or another.

    And if you think that what I am saying is a load of crap, allow me to just say, I use to be stuck in that cycle. I use to think that Tunneling and Camping were fine, so I tunneled one person out, and camped for my other Kills. I got stuck in this mindset that it was all I need to do to win. And I was not having fun with the game, and I blamed the game for it when really it was just my fault the whole time. You can go through my older posts and maybe even see how I felt about it.

    You can tunnel and camp and still have fun at the game. Mostly comes down when you are not doing it hardcore way, but are adjusting your gameplay as the game progresses. If you just camp and tunnel every survivor, then obviously the game will be boring to you.

    And well, tunnelling and camping are not fun - I can agree. But what is even more NOT FUN is playing well, getting 8 hooks and 1/0 kills and most survivors escaping even though they did nothing skilful. I'd take opportunistic tunnelling and camping over that any day. It's lesser of an "unfun" from my point of view.

    Your mistake going for that 8 hooks before finishing anyone off. You should aim something in middle. For example hook survivor A then B then A then C then A again now you got one survivor out only with 5 hooks without tunneling or camping. If you go for 8 hooks you have to accept you don't maybe get 4K. But I still take that over tunneling or camping it's much more fun and skillful unless I want my kill stats to look better and most likely reward you with pip. Whereas camping can even cause depip even if you get 3-4K. But anyway when im loading into a game it says killer main objective is to hook survivors.

1 2 3 ›