How do you have fun as killer?

I'm a survivor main, who currently plays killer, at least a few times a day. I don't have any problem playing killer in regards to experience/skill, and this isn't some rant about which side needs buffs or nerfs.

I play survivor so much that it can often feel boring, and i ponder the thought of playing some killer.  I love many killers and how they're designed, and i'd love to invest the same, if not, more time into playing as killer. However, when i play killer, the mindset is completely different. You can't use a fun or experimental build like you can in survivor, without the real expectation that you're probably gonna get pwned. Sometimes it feels like the system is against you, and you have to play aggressively to come close to winning. It feels like all hell is going to break loose, if you don't kill at least one survivor in the trial, or you've failed completely. This is regardless of how many hooks you got.

When i play as survivor, winning means almost nothing to me. I can take the fat L consecutively. As killer, it genuinely sucks. I've gone so far as to play Nurse with a sweaty build and secure the 4k at 3gens. Then i'll feel empty, like i didn't really enjoy playing so sweaty, like i didn't really deserve the win too. However, i'll play a killer whose playstyle i genuinely enjoy. A killer that isn't considered as strong at high MMR. Then i'll get served by a sabo squad or something like that. Before you know it, the only real move left when you've completely lost pressure, is to start camping and tunnelling. Which i don't think anyone enjoys.

I asked a popular twitch streamer who plays killer almost always, "What's the secret to becoming a killer main" The response i got was "You have to secretly enjoy pain" . I don't really know what to do with that so my question goes out to other killer mains i guess. How do you do it? How do you take the L and move on so religiously. How do you shake off the competitive mindset, and play for fun. No matter the build, no matter the killer you've picked, and regardless of the outcome. Do i just need anger management? Do i have an inflated ego, or are you guys just built different.

Thanks

giphy (6)456.gif

Comments

  • @H2H said:

    The fact that the most common answer for how to have fun as killer is “just meme around and don’t try to win” should be setting off massive alarms at BHVR. It won’t, but it should.

    I mean just look at the community. It’s widely accepted that bodyblocking, efficient gen splits and pushing for a 3/4 man out whenever possible is just part of the game. There’s a few sour grape Killers but most people understand this as common sense and have no issues

    Then take a look at how many people in the DBD community shame experienced Killers for even attempting to 4K most matches or playing to win which is what a lot of people find fun

    For example, notice how most of the DBD community claims genrushing doesn’t exist (Lol, easy way to filter out people who don’t know their history) but players on both sides universally agree to label basic Killer interactions as Camping/Tunneling (They exist but are not always meant to be nasty, it’s also natural parts of gameplay that the player can choose to apply even when not necessary. Same thing Survivors can do)

    Regardless of what side you main, you will hear or see more complaints and ridicule in your direction as an elite Killer than you will as a God-Survivor

    When I see Survivors just as good or better than me and they didn’t BM I’ll always tell them GGWP (half of them are too cocky to even respond), I also regularly have Killers compliment me on their own stream or mine, or in endgame chat when I play well

    As Killer? Lmfao. Even if I follow the Survivor rulebook and give somebody multiple extra chances out of sympathy there will be something complained about on stream or after the match messages. If I play a high-tier Killer + build and I dominate it’s because of the Killer and build, not because I outplayed but if I run a mid-low tier Killer + fun/meme build and lose it’s because “they’re better than me”, never because there’s a survivor sided map, never because I had a weak Killer and build and never because medkits + boons + SWF + Discord

    Killer is often a catch22. I barely ever feel that way when I’m playing Survivor. I’ve only had to cut 1 person off in my years playing DBD for being way too biased and toxic as Killer and saying things in Discord/Twitch. On the other hand, I’ve had to remove or distance myself from dozens of obnoxious, hypocritical, biased and cocky Survivors that chill in Discord/Stream because they shame anybody who doesn’t think exactly like them even if you’re supposed to be friends

    A lot of Survivors want other Survivors AND Killers to conform to their warped ideas of fun but how often do they go out of their way to make sure others in their lobby are having fun?

  • lower the expectations. don't use good add ons/offerings so losing actually doesn't matter. focus on gameplay and chases, pick a killer you simply enjoy using the power of, maybe use some passive gen perks so game doesn't end immediately like corrupt, deadlock or pain res. NEVER ever focus on gens, kicking, trying to control them and all that. don't count hooks, go for whoever you see. those are when you feel like killer gameplay gets boring or you get stressed over them.

1 2 ›