The Ghost Face crouch - a change to help overcome a big weakness

Right now, crouching doesn't serve much purpose. The Ghost Face is particularly weak to stealth plays at mid to high MMR. It's very map dependent, as many generators have very open lines of sight making sneaking up impossible. Throw in that anyone using spinechill is given a guaranteed "he's within 36 meters of you", and they'll hightail it out of there by the time The Ghost Face manages to get up and close losing a lot of time and pressure. On top of that, the one area he does shine in, line of sight blocking generators, he has to expose his position with RNG just to see if he happens to be able to spot a survivor working on a gen. He could peak around a corner only for the survivor to be on the opposite side of the generator - blowing his position and getting no value out of the approach. He has to spend a lot of time approaching, but he can lose all the extra time spent on approach to nothing just out of where the survivor is on a gen. On top of that, he's one of the few killers, if the only killer, that can have his power completely stripped away from him from survivors. With how fast gens are, he can't properly set up attacks without risking too much lost time.

With all that being said, one thing that would help him a bit is if he could gain some information just before peaking. I'd like to suggest that if The Ghost Face spends at least 3 seconds crouching while stealthed, any survivor currently working on a generator within the range of the killer being able to hear that survivor working on the generator (as in, the killer will know someone's on a generator at that point anyway), that survivor's aura is revealed to them. The aura lasts as long as he's stealthily crouched, and the aura reading persists for 1 second after the survivor stops repairing the generator. This will allow The Ghost Face to set up his approach more reliably instead of his approach being all or nothing on which side the survivor happened to be on the gen.

Considering some of the options other killers have in aura reading, especially Myers, I don't think an aura reading of just survivors actively on a gen who are already very close to the killer that also drops once they leave the gen is overpowering.

Also, it would finally actually give something useful for crouching other than meme-ing.

Comments

  • I actually have decent result using his crouch speed add-on when sneaking around. The lower profile you get from crouching definitely makes you harder to see. It’s also why I do pretty well with Pig, I likewise use her Crouch speed add-on since her stealth while crouched is excellent.

  • @dugman said:

    I actually have decent result using his crouch speed add-on when sneaking around. The lower profile you get from crouching definitely makes you harder to see. It’s also why I do pretty well with Pig, I likewise use her Crouch speed add-on since her stealth while crouched is excellent.

    The problem is, he's really weak over all. He pretty much has to use his stealth recharge and faster marking to be competitive unless you're going all in and using rare addons....a couple of them are strong enough to use over his commons, but you can't rely on them since they are rare.

    Frankly, the stealth recharge needs to be basekit. All the other stealthers can go stealth on demand. I mean heck, Myers and expose and down everyone at once. The Ghost Face can only realistically do one at a time. If he does happen to mark one, once he finishes his 3 hour chase, the other is already halfway across the globe.

  • His crouch is already useful though. It makes him smaller and thus harder to see. It's not only useful for sneaking up on survivors who aren't aware of you, but can also help you mindgame loops that normally are impossible to mindgame.

    There's also not a killer that has aura reading as a basekit feature and is generally reserved for addons.

  • @Crowman said:

    His crouch is already useful though. It makes him smaller and thus harder to see. It's not only useful for sneaking up on survivors who aren't aware of you, but can also help you mindgame loops that normally are impossible to mindgame.

    There's also not a killer that has aura reading as a basekit feature and is generally reserved for addons.

    Just saying, he's weak enough to warrant that his crouch does something mechanically. Just sort of a wasted feature at the moment. Wouldn't be so bad if he could crouch faster, perhaps, but even then, there's room to grow, here. His approach makes him extremely weak, especially with the existence of the new spinechill.

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3210503#Comment_3210503

    The problem is, he's really weak over all. He pretty much has to use his stealth recharge and faster marking to be competitive unless you're going all in and using rare addons....a couple of them are strong enough to use over his commons, but you can't rely on them since they are rare.

    Frankly, the stealth recharge needs to be basekit. All the other stealthers can go stealth on demand. I mean heck, Myers and expose and down everyone at once. The Ghost Face can only realistically do one at a time. If he does happen to mark one, once he finishes his 3 hour chase, the other is already halfway across the globe.

    Like I said, I don't normally use the Stealth recharge and I do fine with Ghost Face.

  • @Crowman said:

    His crouch is already useful though. It makes him smaller and thus harder to see. It's not only useful for sneaking up on survivors who aren't aware of you, but can also help you mindgame loops that normally are impossible to mindgame.

    There's also not a killer that has aura reading as a basekit feature and is generally reserved for addons.

    i had an idea for purple add-on that makes it that you can see survivor aura's within 12 meters while crouching when in nightshroud. It would be similar to all-seeing blood wraith add-on. he has add-on called Night vision monoculars. it would be more in line with the idea of seeing clearly.

    I am not sure, survivor found all-seeing blood too oppressive on wraith enough for them to weaken it... so I am not sure if ghostface could have something like that.

  • @Devil_hit11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3213244#Comment_3213244

    i had an idea for purple add-on that makes it that you can see survivor aura's within 12 meters while crouching when in nightshroud. It would be similar to all-seeing blood wraith add-on. he has add-on called Night vision monoculars. it would be more in line with the idea of seeing clearly.

    I am not sure, survivor found all-seeing blood too oppressive on wraith enough for them to weaken it... so I am not sure if ghostface could have something like that.

    I think the reason why All Seeing got complained about was that Wraith got changed to be fully invisible from 20m along with the 150% movement and All Seeing was 12m. The amount of time you had to notice wraith before he saw you with All Seeing was pretty small.

    Ghostface would be more similar to pig in that you can easily see both just crouching around with the main difference being that Ghostface doesn't have a longer lunge out of his crouch. If Ghostface got an addon like this I imagine it would be also tied to being in Night Shroud.

  • @Crowman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3213306#Comment_3213306

    I think the reason why All Seeing got complained about was that Wraith got changed to be fully invisible from 20m along with the 150% movement and All Seeing was 12m. The amount of time you had to notice wraith before he saw you with All Seeing was pretty small.

    Ghostface would be more similar to pig in that you can easily see both just crouching around with the main difference being that Ghostface doesn't have a longer lunge out of his crouch. If Ghostface got an addon like this I imagine it would be also tied to being in Night Shroud.

    he already has add-on that slightly extends his lunge via m/s. its called drop-leg steath. its just that its hard to use ghostface's other add-ons. In his rework. he is still has long restrictive cooldown without using matchbook and marking alert survivors is too difficult without philly. kinda wish those two add-on were base-kit so that the killer has more add-on variety.

    wraith has to ring the bell so I didn't see it as problem. wraith bell is long decloak of 2.5 seconds with large m/s penalty. I liked using swift hunt+all-seeing post rework because it allowed me to try to mind game the survivor at loops while giving some information to ebb and flow between chases. now a days, it feels unrewarded to play stealth with wraith's negative changes so I do not bother with it anymore. I just slap on enduring spirit fury and run shadow dance+serpent and play m1 chase wraith.

  • @Devil_hit11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3213518#Comment_3213518

    he already has add-on that slightly extends his lunge via m/s. its called drop-leg steath. its just that its hard to use ghostface's other add-ons. In his rework. he is still has long restrictive cooldown without using matchbook and marking alert survivors is too difficult without philly. kinda wish those two add-on were base-kit so that the killer has more add-on variety.

    wraith has to ring the bell so I didn't see it as problem. wraith bell is long decloak of 2.5 seconds with large m/s penalty. I liked using swift hunt+all-seeing post rework because it allowed me to try to mind game the survivor at loops while giving some information to ebb and flow between chases. now a days, it feels unrewarded to play stealth with wraith's negative changes so I do not bother with it anymore. I just slap on enduring spirit fury and run shadow dance+serpent and play m1 chase wraith.

    People were generally running silent bell and all seeing before all seeing got nerfed.

    I honestly don't have issues marking survivors without Philly.

  • Mostly unrelated but I think Ghostface should be able to hide in lockers and if a survivor opens it they can insta grab them.

  • @Crowman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3213549#Comment_3213549

    People were generally running silent bell and all seeing before all seeing got nerfed.

    I honestly don't have issues marking survivors without Philly.

    Silent bell does not change anything. I have to explain this.

    Silent bell is another placebo add-on casual survivors complain about but it does not have that huge impact on the game. If wraith is on the other side of the wall and the survivor does not see the wraith ringing the bell. You will get the hit with wraith most of time regardless if you use the silent bell or not.

    With silent bell, The survivors reaction time when you ring the bell across the wall is shortened. For example you will ring the bell and the survivor will react late. you notice a -2 second reaction time from the survivor. they will let go of the survivor at last second as your coming across the wall. People would sometimes pair this with the serpent -soot add-on that suppress the killer red glow to get gen grabs.

    Without silent bell, you will ring the bell and you will notice that half-way from ringing your bell fully, the survivor will be running away but wraith gets sprint burst after uncloaking so in 99% of the cases, you usually get the opening hit if the survivor does not notice you ringing the bell assuming you took a good position to ring the bell.

    in the open, you can see wraith ringing the bell. no add-on value. it only provides value if your going for gen grabs instead of opening hits or your using these add-on like "Blind warrior" -white to consistent apply mangled. that add-on relies on surprise attacks. Silent bell makes surprise attacks have near 100% consistency behind walls.

    The reason why wraith were using all-seeing blood was comb the map. it helped wraith transition from chase to chase and it helped him create mindgames at loops where he could use aura-reading in conjunction with extended lunge to sometimes get a hit. ghostface could do the same if he had aura-reading add-on with drop-leg knife steath.