Roughly what percentage of players are above the MMR soft cap?
Out of curiosity as a question for the devs, since there seems to be renewed discussion about it on Youtube and elsewhere, roughly what's the percentage of players who are above the MMR soft cap? I know from the MMR tests a while back there is a soft cap that, while your MMR continues to fluctuate up or down as you win or lose, for matchmaking purposes everybody above the soft cap is treated like they're all that cap. Which is presumably a good thing because otherwise the people with really, really high ratings would have to wait forever and a day for a match.
That said, there's a ton of just pure speculation on just how many people are actually currently above the soft cap. I've seen people guessing it's as high as 25% or more of the playerbase, but also when they did the tests Peanits commented that only a very, very small fraction of players was over the old cap so it seems odd that it would suddenly jump from, say, 1% to 25% being over the cap.
Anyway only the devs know for sure, so it can't hurt to ask,
- What's the actual percentage roughly at right now, ballpark figure? 1%, 10%, 20%, more, less?
- Also, is the softcap dynamically adjusted periodically? For instance, say after a few months it went from being 5% above the cap to 20% above the cap, is there a system in place to dynamically choose a higher value for it to get the percentage back down to the intended target?
Thanks!
Comments
I doubt we'll get a straight answer on that from the devs, but the higher percentage we've seen from the cheater/hacker stuff the past few days feels like it is probably closer to the right answer.
If there were actually a pool of only 1-2% in an MMR level, the queue times would be eternal. I am pretty sure that's the way it was when SBMM first dropped, and then again for a minute during the testing rounds, but having the "top" pool being like 25% of all players would explain a whole lot of the matchmaking variance we've seen.
I guess those streamers who slap "AT TOP LEVEL" on all of their YT thumbnails are gonna probably have to back off of that a little, lol.
Just for reference, here's the fairly detailed dev blog on the matchmaking tests and results from earlier this year
The main takeaways are
The main thing, though, is the old version had a pretty similar setup but didn't have "eternal queue times" because you don't actually need 1/4 of the total overall playerbase to be in your bracket to avoid having a long queue time.
I don't necessarily think it's 25%, just a lot closer to that than <5%, for sure.
For a while I've been incredulous toward the notion that there's a narrow band of ultra high MMR players who only match with each other. And while I do think you clearly feel it when you pass the soft cap, I have been increasingly of the opinion that pool is deeper than it was even a couple of months ago.
I can't say for sure obviously, but I don't think whatever system was settled on after those tests is entirely in place anymore.
Also, I definitely feel that the matchmaking under the old rank system was definitely much looser than whatever SBMM was for a long while, and to me it feels closer to the rank system now than it did for the first 6 months or so of SBMM.
Scott Jund was mentioning 25% of the interval range, not the total population. We don't know for sure and chances are we will never have those metrics. But if you want some arbitrary numbers, assuming a normal distribution with a Mean of 1000:
We need to add a qualifier here. The only survivors we really care about are those who either have played recently, or who played above some number of hours within the last 30 days. Otherwise it'll include players who no longer play the game, and we don't care about those.
I'd be curious to know too, but there's pretty much a 0% chance that it's 25%. That assumes a linear distribution of MMR values that's just not possible with the algorithm they're employing. I'd certainly believe 5-10% though. With the number of players that DBD has, 5-10% is still a very large number of players.
Something interesting is the cheaters with a winbot going and saying they can't get higher than 3000. This is consistent with your opponent's MMR affecting how much or little your MMR changes. Since the winbot can't find anyone on its own "level" to play against, it can't get higher. That also tracks with MMR being a bell curve and not linear.
When Scott says that it's the same as old red ranks, I feel there's a pretty high chance he's just wrong. I obviously can't confirm that myself since I'm not a developer, but just assuming based on the publicly available information.
But remember that they specifically lowered the cap for this exact reason. It was due to community feedback that the top players were always playing sweaty matches with each other. You'd generally expect that lowering the cap would have exactly the effect that's mentioned here.
My kind of post. 🙂 Based on something Peanits said a while back during testing, I think there were about 1% of players above the old cap which was (I think) 1900. Putting that in, with the same Mean of 1000, a SD of 400 seems to fit. If so then that 6.7% estimate is maybe the closest one.
Judging by how many people are complaining about Pro Nurse players, I'd say a considerable portion of this forum's survivors are at or above the soft cap and have hit the point where they actually get beaten by a killer you can't just clown anymore.
The issue is that the changes they introduced were kind of a band-aid imho. They were bound to worsen very soon.