Have the matchmaking incentive for Killer vary by character

In the dev update blog in June or so where they detailed how the matchmaking incentive works they mentioned that the incentive amount is partly based on your MMR. So for example if there is a scarcity of survivors at your MMR bracket in the game you will have an incentive bonus given to play as survivor.

The thing is, though, every killer character has its own independent MMR. Like in my case for instance my Nurse and Huntress are I assume much, MUCH lower MMR than other killers because I never play Nurse and I’m a terrible shot. But the system currently only shows a single incentive bonus for killer as a whole, so I think (just a guess) that it’s using the average of your killer character MMRs to assign you a “killer MMR” for purpose of deciding whether you need an incentive or not to play as killer.

The issue with that is if the system needs a killer player who is, say, around 1000 point MMR in a match and sees my average MMR over all my characters is 1000, it could easily be that some of my characters I’m 1500 and others I’m 700 and others I’m 1000 and whether I’m actually a good fit for what the incentive algorithm is searching for depends entirely on the specific killer character I play. Like in my case If the algorithm is looking for “lower skill killers” then it would want me to enter a lobby as Huntress, for instance, not as my Demogorgon or Pig who I have higher kill rates with.


A solution to consider is to, instead of showing just a single number next to killer as an incentive, assign a different incentive amount for each killer character and show what that incentive is on the killer character selection screen. Then on the main menu say something like “+100% The Shape” or “+50% The Onryo” for whichever killer character has the best incentive at that moment for that player.

A bonus side effect of this is it also opens the possibility of having the incentive also, as a tie breaker, highlight the killer character in the killer player’s roster which is both +100% incentive AND which is currently the lowest pick rate in the queue. So if nobody is playing Twins, and the current Twins rate for a specific player is +100%, then it can highlight “Twins +100%” on the main menu to try and steer the player into using that less played character. That would help further increase the character diversity seen in matches overall.

Comments