Rank is meaningless
Do teammates get significantly worse as you rank up? In low ranks, survivors actually tried to help each other unhook instead of crouch in the corner and let you die on first hook even if I'm always running Kindred? Also more often, survivors, if I'm hiding in a locker using my Inner Strength, they will point the killer in my direction. Or does this just mean that survivors are more desperate to rank up just so they can say they're high ranks? I'm Iridescent IV right now and my teammates are straight up garbage most of the time. This proves that rank is meaningless in this game right?
Comments
Grades aren't used for matchmaking. It's been like this for over a year now
Oh, I didn't know that. Is it just random then?
Matchmaking uses SBMM, you have a hidden MMR value
To clarify how it works, you have a hidden Matchmaking Rating (MMR) that is character specific for killers and a rating as a survivor. As a killer it goes up when you kill a survivor and down if they escape out the gate (I think it doesn’t count hatches or disconnects but I’m not positive? 🤷♂️) and vice versa as a survivor. The bigger the difference in the ratings toward being an upset the bigger the shift, so if I’m a low rated killer and I kill a survivor with a high rating my MMR goes up a lot versus if I’m a high MMR killer and kill a low MMr survivor it will only go up a small amount.
Then when you click ready to go into a lobby it tries to pair you up with other players who have similar MMR if possible. Note that it’s not always possible to make a close match, though, depending on what’s avaialable the system might match you up in whatever slot is available rather than have to wait a really long time for a close pairing.
As I mentioned, every killer character in your roster has its own independent MMR. The first time you play a specific killer it gets assigned a starting MMR based on the average of your other already played characters and then for the first number of matches you play with them it goes up or down more quickly than later to try and get you in the rough bracket you belong.
In general the MMR rating itself seems to be a pretty good estimate for putting players together in the sense that when everybody is about the same MMR the match is “equally sweaty” all around. This was evidenced a while back when they were doing tests on matchmaking and the days they had the tightest MMR pairings were also the days people on both sides complained about having to really work for their wins. And on the flip side when the MMR was loosest or off entirely were the days you had the most blatant mismatches and stomps.
So in short MMR is a reasonable seeming rating to help the system try and pair you up in games it hopes will feel close. But often in the interest of expediency it will put you in a first available match to get you playing when closer matches aren’t around.
Thank you guys for being helpful, well my MMR level needs improving upon then if I'm getting these kinds of teammates 😂😅
As others have pointed out, MMR is more or less the culprit, but I would stress that the devs put way more of an emphasis on queue times than quality matchmaking. You can still be above the MMR softcap and get these teammates.
I seem to recall rating changes for killer are a flat +10 per kill and -10 per escape, not affected by the difference between players' ratings. If that's not how it works anymore, then something changed in the last few months.
Too many changes going on, some of them aren't the best ones lol
MMR doesn't exist, I've started dodging lobbies that have P0 (yeah there's a debate on that too) base characters. I'll eventually get paired up with P5+ and we win the match (3 escape). Next match is P0s until I dodge enough to find a team that will win.
I have a pretty good winning streak utilizing my intuition MMR.
Yeah lobby backfills usually cause this. They really need to fix backfill logic. It just throws the next person available into the lobby whenever someone drops. One or more P0s = nope.