Slight timer before reentering a lobby
I was thinking about the issues lobby dodging causes for matchmaking (i.e. increased queue times and forcing the algorithm to ignore ratings to fill gaps) and realized a short timer before being able to reenter a lobby could mitigate the issue. So something like if you leave a lobby the game has a 60 or 90 seconds timer where you can’t press Enter again. Short enough that if you leave because you want to change your Rift challenge or load out you might not even notice it but long enough that if you are just leaving on a whim so you can immediately hit Enter and try for a new lobby against “opponents you like better” then it will be a little annoying for you and make you think twice before hitting Cancel. It won’t totally prevent dodging, nor should it since sometimes you realize you have the wrong mission or loadout or the pizza shows up or whatever, but it would I think reduce how often it happens for spurious reasons like “I don’t want to go against four Dwights” or whatever.
Comments
"I was thinking about the issues lobby dodging causes for matchmaking (i.e. increased queue times and forcing the algorithm to ignore ratings to fill gaps)"
I was under the impression that it doesn't do this anymore and they changed it so that it still attempted to bring in someone who was within the MMR range it was looking for?
Regardless, I don't think 60-90 seconds is a good idea for this. Sometimes you get matched into a dedicated server that is yellow/red ping and it's perfectly reasonable for a person to want to back out of that lobby. A minute and a half isn't a long time when that happens once but if the matchmaker decides to do that 2-3 times in a row (which has happened to me), that just causes frustration.
I understand wanting to mitigate lobby dodging but honestly getting replacement survivors/killers has never felt that long if someone does decide to dodge.
I can’t speak to ever having to back out of a lobby because of ping since I’ve never done it.
It doesn’t take long to get replacement survivors and killers after a dodge because the system prioritizes filling those gaps so that the four people still in the lobby don’t have to wait for a whole new queue. I think they tweaked around the edges of that so it doesn’t pick a totally random player for backfill who had been in the queue the longest but it’s still filling that gap at a higher priority than a lobby that hasn’t technically been completed yet.