Balance... Fun vs Competitive

This was on my mind so I made a thing. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/NL1unZp-0VY

Comments

  • These two things cannot exist without the other. Fun is fair, fair is competitive. 
  • I believe both can coexist, even in an asymmetrical game.
  • These two things cannot exist without the other. Fun is fair, fair is competitive. 
    Yes they can.
    Minecraft is not competetive....
  • These two things cannot exist without the other. Fun is fair, fair is competitive. 
    Yes they can.
    Minecraft is not competetive....
    You find that game fun? 
  • These two things cannot exist without the other. Fun is fair, fair is competitive. 
    Yes they can.
    Minecraft is not competetive....
    It can be competitive. There are PVP servers and the idea is to get all the resources for yourself and hide somewhere. It still applies. 
  • wow Wolf... what a condescending response. "You find that game fun?" 

    it's almost as if you're being petty because you were proven wrong. 

    yes, some people enjoy minecraft, and just because minecraft CAN BE competitive it is NOT a competitive game at its core, nor does it need to be. 

    and even plenty of games that fall under the PVP category that are not competitive and not fair, but can still be fun. Unfortunately DBD is not one of those. I assume it has something to do with the very nature of the game and the reward system, but being horribly outmatched by a killer or by an SWF is not very fun and feels like you're wasting your time. 
  • Avariku said:
    wow Wolf... what a condescending response. "You find that game fun?" 

    it's almost as if you're being petty because you were proven wrong. 

    yes, some people enjoy minecraft, and just because minecraft CAN BE competitive it is NOT a competitive game at its core, nor does it need to be. 

    and even plenty of games that fall under the PVP category that are not competitive and not fair, but can still be fun. Unfortunately DBD is not one of those. I assume it has something to do with the very nature of the game and the reward system, but being horribly outmatched by a killer or by an SWF is not very fun and feels like you're wasting your time. 
    It was a joke, relax. Context is easily misconstrued through text. I enjoyed Minecraft for a while, it’s a great sandbox game where player freedom is unrivaled and exploration is up at one of the best experiences in that category. 

    Gathering resources and building can be a fun and engaging grind for many, the combat of that game is absolutely atrociously horrid, but everything else is easily an enjoyable experience for any audience. 

    I just cannot really go back to it because I prefer more sinister-toned games. That’s a preference. 

    Edit: I know for the context of other games it doesn’t apply, but the only thing that should be discussed here is DBD, and that is why I didn’t go out of my way to specify that. 
  • I have my own assumptions about this but won't bother with it. 

    regardless, DBD does need some kind of change to bring more "fun" into the mix. I'm sorry, but when a dev team says "just go play a different game" ... that seems like they know they're game is flawed, but have no intention of fixing it. 

    I like DBD. a lot. But I'm frustrated with the balance where playing survivor is just frustration and playing killer has gotten tedious. 

    we either need a new mode which is set up for more casual/fun playstyles or the main game needs some pretty serious fixes. (for both killers and survivors.)