Changing The Basekit To Killers Isnt The Solution

Map design is everything, and while there are random elements (such as how many pallets spawn and tilesets, etc), a lot of maps still have really strong structures that either spawn facing into one another or are just strong on their own (Garden of Joy's Main Building for example).

Increasing the rate that you gain Bloodlust just enforces how awful these maps are, there is no mind-gaming a lot of loops (in their most recently released maps), so the game itself is forcing you to just follow the path of the survivor until you either break a pallet (because you are forced to) or hit them because of Bloodlust.

This isnt good design (at least in my opinion). I know balancement isnt a clear cut thing, especially since DbD is an asymmetrical game, but I just feel like it's taking the game in the wrong direction. I would have prefer a map design overhaul over the basekit changes made.

I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Comments

  • I think changing the gen times on top of the three base changes was excessive for normalizing kill rates and figuring out what works, but a couple of them were necessary. The speed boost needed to be curtailed if nothing else irrespective of map.