Survivor Item Overhaul Ideas

We'll be tackling each item type separately here- while I'm not going into detail about addons, it's safe to assume I think changes should be made to those too, it's just a different topic.

Flashlights: Starting with these because honestly, I think flashlights are fine. They provide a little value and they provide it well, alongside being a nice pick for survivors who'd like to be cocky and keep the killer's attention on them instead of their teammates. I'd like to see more killer powers interact with flashlights to solidify their niche there, but nothing specific to mention.

Keys: These need a pretty hefty change, in my opinion. Now that the hatch will only ever spawn for one person, the fact that they can open it again once it's closed is now very much a neat bonus, not their main draw. So, what is their main draw? Realistically it's nothing, but ostensibly it's player aura reading. I think that at base, keys should allow you to see your teammates within a set radius, and the addons should all be tweaked to reflect that; widening the radius, giving you more charges, maybe allowing you to see teammates outside the radius if they're performing a specific action, and of course, seeing the killer's aura for the Blood Amber. They wouldn't be particularly strong, but they'd have a nice niche, especially for solo players.

Maps: I'll be honest, I got very little clue how to improve maps. Their niche is, supposedly, reading the aura of static objects- generators, totems, the exit gates, killer power objects. Perhaps it'd be worth simply giving them the ability to track all those at base, and have the addons affect things like range, charges, and how many things are pre-tracked? Also, take Trapper's bear traps off the killer power list already, dang.

Medkits: Currently, medkits pose a bit of a problem. Healing speeds are a problem in this game, and I think that in order to help quell that, medkits should be rebalanced to not give anywhere near as much extra healing speed, but to have noticeably more charges. That keeps them useful for solo players who need the occasional self-heal in key moments, but stops them from stacking so aggressively with other heal-speed increases to have people healing themselves in six seconds, or other insane things like that. So, in short: lower speeds but more full heals.

Toolboxes: This one I'm torn on, because in general I don't actually think toolboxes themselves are problematic. Their addons certainly could be, and there's room for criticising the specific balancing of some of the higher tier toolboxes, but your average toolbox with even decent addons is mostly okay. Still, I did see an Otzdarva video a little while ago where he suggests that toolboxes be retooled to offer protection against regression up to a certain point instead of making you simply repair faster, and I do like that- no reason not to add it to this list!

Those are my ideas. What do you all think?

Comments