Super excited for Endurance: The Update
I don't think Endurance is gonna be that great honestly. At least not for the ordinary players. I think it'll be a good thing for killers if they somehow try to abuse and fail at using them. It's gonna be a good time waster for survivors. I already have a plan lined up. I would suggest Sloppy Butcher. Now they have to heal and mend for a long time while also spending time to even take hits for people. Now I think people won't be doing this because they'll realize how much it can help the killer. I feel like some people have to look at the mind of survivors as well when we get stuff like this. It's one of the reasons I love Sloppy Butcher. It sounds simple and good but not too good but when you really think about what it does to the survivors' mind it's a lot better than people expect. They are nervous when they are injured which makes them play Sloppy sometimes, no pun intended. Then you still try and heal when you could be doing gens. This is what could happen with Endurance and why I think it's not gonna actually be used too much once people realize how it can end up working against you.
Comments
Yeah, I think Endurance will be useful when survivors mainly play normally and simply allow the Endurance to absorb a hit to get them out of a bad situation, but I’m more skeptical about survivors just running around intentionally using up their Endurance on bodyblocks being an optimal strategy. As a killer if I’m chasing someone and another survivor is following me around to get a hit too that’s just me keeping two people off the generators instead of only one. They’d likely be better off having that person trying to distract me simply work on a generator instead. And from what I saw in PTB games on one of my favorite streamers it seemed like he was actually doing even better against these “Endurance Squads” than the ones who focussed on gens. It’s similar to the flashlight players who follow you around hoping for saves all the time, it makes for funny meme plays but in terms of strategy they’d be better off doing the gens instead of wasting all that time.
The big problem is that long term endurance will turn the game into guesswork. Without the killer having some sort of feedback whether or not someone has long term endurance, as long as the person has been hooked, it's a guessing game if it's worth hitting someone. For example. You are running to an area with a gen. You see two survivors running away. They've both been hooked within the past 80 seconds. Which one do you chase? You have no idea which one had been doing a conspicuous action. If some has saved their endurance, you could be led into an extended chase where, in reality, the survivor you're chasing is in absolutely no danger whatsoever.
Once you break line of sight of a survivor that has gotten off a hook, they are immediately a threat. You have NO idea if they have been working on gens or not unless you've directly seem them do it. Because of that the whole anti tunnel thought goes out the window. In order for OTR to TRULY be an anti tunnel perk, killers need to be able to know they are untouchable. Only then would killers not bother chasing.
Long story short, OTR turns the game into random guessing if a survivor is even attackable. If they aren't attackable, they could easily waste a ton of time of the killer while others work on gens all while having NO risk to themselves. This is really, really bad for the game. Killers should feel like they are rolling a d20 every time they attack a survivor.
It'll even get worst with swfs who all run the same skin. Now the killer will absolutely never know who has long term endurance. They can just take terms distracting the killer. Even if the killer manages to down and hook one, then that's another 80 seconds of chaos