Expansion of Accessibility Options

Hello,

I'm sure this is a tried and true topic posted before, but I wanted to personally express my own issues with my colorblindness. I am severely colorblind, and I cannot say that the colorblind filters provide enough of solution to help those like me, though its implementation is greatly appreciated.

The biggest issue has to do with the contrast of the colors of auras and scratch marks relative to map environments. Problematic areas with default aura colors (Red/Orange) arise on maps such as Coldwind Farms and Eeyrie of Crows. Due to their warm color scheme, auras and scratch marks have the habit of blending into the environment, making it very difficult to track/follow survivors.

You can contrast (ha) this with a map like the MacMillan Estate, where the blue-ish hues of the map provide a great contrast to aura and scratch mark colors.

Now, this can provide a similar problem to one of the recent developer discussions about the PTB and the Spine Chill perk. The deaf community originally requested Spine Chill to not be altered so they can work around not hearing sounds. Similarly, tracking perks such as Spies from the Shadows, can alleviate the colorblind issue by giving you a "ping" when tracking a survivor. However, BHVR has already acknowledged accessibility options should ideally not be fixed with perks.

When BHVR is looking into providing additional accessibility options, it would be ideal for them to also revamp their colorblind options. There are a few methods I could see working as a better solution:

1) Allowing aura and scratch mark colors to be changed in settings

2) Creating a "contrast" value for each map, where auras and scratch marks are automatically adjusted to fit the map and improve clarity

Ultimately, I believe there is great room for improvement in the accessibility options and I hope that this post can either generate some discussion or catch a random developer's eye.

Thank You

Comments

  • Completely agree with you and not trying to talk your idea down, just wanted to add that the contrast issue on maps like Coldwind isn’t solely a problem for colorblind people but it’s a general problem (but with colorblindness it might be more severe I guess)

    also, regarding their statement about accessibility not fixed with perks i hope that will also hold true for FoV and people that suffer from motion sickness with certain fov values that are now kinda reliant on shadowborn..