I dont understand the reasoning for the OTR change
I'm not doomsaying how oppressive it will be in endgame, I just don't understand why they did what they did. It should remove scratches, shut off moans and whimpering, restrict aura reading and potentially give a substantial haste effect for a short duration, so you can GTFO of there when unhooked.
80 seconds of endurance? It doesn't even make sense, why would you get another health state? Off The Record. Covering tracks. Secrecy.
I dont get it. Its the only real issue I take with this update and it isn't even what everyone else is complaining about.
Comments
I guess they wanted to make another anti-tunneling perk that actually is worth it to run, as the current version doesn’t really help when the killer camped/has direct view on you. but I do agree they should have focused on the current effect, especially with IW nerfed, OTR would have gotten more attractive.
Yeah. I thought it was very bizarre that they made OTR the next anti-tunneling perk when OTR was originally a stealth perk and Iron Will's nerf opened the gates for a replacement in that area. Like, 100% sound reduction for a long time after being unhooked? It finally had an actual shot at being used. Of course, it's definitely going to be used now, but that's because they nerfed DS and then served up super-BT on a platter.
It's pretty funny how a perk named "Off the Record" is going to encourage survivors to get up in the killer's face.
BHVR incorrectly assumed survivors use endurance to get away from killers. However, survivors don't use endurance to get away - they use it offensively to put pressure on the killer by sticking around bodyblocking and doing flashlight saves. Hopefully they realize this before it goes live.
Endurance off hook isn't anti-tunnel. Survivors literally use it to try to gain the killer's attention by trying to bodyblock or have risk-free flashlight saves. At least with old BT they had a limited amount of time to pull this off. 80 seconds of risk-free bodyblocking and flashlight saves is going to be horrendous for gameplay.
No, it is anti-tunnel, and it's foolish to claim otherwise. It makes it so that it's more time-consuming to kill that player fresh off the hook than it would be otherwise, and make them less attractive to go after. However, anti-tunneling effects have always been used to bait killers, for as long back in this game's history as those perks have existed. They did it with BT, they did it with DS, they'll do it with OTR.
What's the first thing someone does when getting unhooked with BT? They get right in front of the killer's face. Off-hook endurance players WANT the attention of the killer which is in direct opposition of BHVR's design philosophy that it's intended to allow the player to get away. People with endurance know they get a get out of jail free card, so they turn what's intended to be an evasive mechanic and turn it into an offensive weapon against the killer.
I think those who have a ton of time in as killer will always have a major problem with any perk giving a "free escape" or "lose-lose situation" during EGC. With the proposed changes coming to the BT-DS etc. method, it will likely be replaced with OTR plays.
I am of the belief no kills are guaranteed during EGC with teammates alive to help with smart and timely teamwork. But being on the other side of those escapes it is an almost hopeless feeling, and I understand the desire for more counterplay to it.
Here's an easy example.
https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/vld9io/please_stop_trying_to_make_me_tunnel_you_off_hook/
Person gets unhooked. Do they run away? No. They just stand there. Why? They want to use their endurance to get a free risk-free flashlight save. I "encourage" them to leave. Do they leave? No. They will continue to stand there NOT running away for as long as they are risk-free. Once their timer starts running out, THEN they would retreat. If their risk-free timer lasted 80 seconds, you can bet they would sit there for the entire 80 seconds if the killer did not go after them and hit them -> again...they are WANTING you to go for them...they are NOT bothering to use endurance as an escape mechanic. This isn't anti-tunneling. This is trying to attract the killer to go over them. Anti-tunneling would require something for both parties....a discouragement for the killer to chase, and a discouragement for the survivor to stay nearby.
I feel like you're misunderstanding me. I'm completely aware of bodyblocking with Endurance, just as I'm aware of survivors with active DS going all "hey look at me, I'm injured, chase me!" and then stabbing the killer in the face. It was in my original post on this thread, even. I've faced plenty of this and I've done plenty of this, and I've argued on several threads that OTR in its current state is too easy and too painful to counter, especially in endgame.
You're right about everything you're saying, which is not something I've ever disagreed with. You're just also super wrong if you think it isn't also used for its intended purpose of helping a tunneled player live longer.
I mean, Off The Record they could even make it so the unhook alert doesn't even go off for killer, so he isn't aware the unhook even took place if he is busy. I gotta say. Bad design decision.
I have faith though, they said the reason they did the massive overhaul was to allow them to adjust stuff quicker, so hopefully this doesn't amount to what they thought it would and can make some quick changes.
Oh, I agree it's INTENDED purpose is to be anti-tunnel....but that's not the reality in DBD, is all. Intentions is one thing, but the reality is it's not being used for anti-tunnel. That's what I meant in my post. It's not an anti-tunnel perk in reality despite best intentions.