My personal experience with SBMM and why it should be disabled and reworked
I've been playing the game for about roughly 75 hours, with roughly 60 prior to SBMM, almost entirely as killer. I enjoy(ed) it quite a lot. I started back during the anniversary event last year and was having a great time with the game. Most of my games felt extremely balanced, and if I lost, I felt like it was completely within my skill and control to have won the game, but I failed.
Once SBMM came out, that changed completely. I constantly started noticing I was going against extremely high play-time players with high ranks. Generally, 1 person on the survivor's side was roughly my skill level, which you would think would help, but the problem is, that it really doesn't. When 3 survivors know how to play well, they can do a great job at protecting that one person.
What once was me playing 10 games, winning 5-6, and losing the rest, went to me winning 1-2 and losing the rest. Every game I'm stuck against people with 2000 hours or more in the game who play constantly (including a well known streamer who has over 8000 hours in the game).
Someone might think "well, you just need to get better". And I wish I could. But I feel like I've learned absolutely nothing because it's constantly a complete stomp. In the past week, I decided to play 5 games, minimum, a day. Rather than write out everything in separate sections about each game, I'll just break it down to the important bits.
In 7 days, I played a total of 42 games. Out of the 42 I played, I didn't get a single 4k. Out of the 42 I played, I successfully sacrificed 34 survivors, out of a possible 168, not counting DCs, for a total of 20% meaning less than 1 per game.
Out of the total 168 players, I was able to see the play-time of 87. Out of the 87, 22 had less than 100 hours played, 35 had 101-500 hours played, 24 had 501-1000 hours, and the remaining 6 had 1001 hours or more (with the highest being a solid 6500 hours.)
The worst game I had was against 4 people who I'm fairly certain were SWFs. I hooked 2 times. That's it.
How am I being matched with similar skilled players? I fail to see how this can be considered even remotely successful of a system.
I loved this game so damn much prior to SBMM. I miss the crap outta it, but I just don't have fun anymore. I just get constantly slammed into the ground by people. And I never get angry at them because I understand it's not their fault they got matched against me. But I've dumped so much money into this game and it feels like it's completely inaccessible to me now. I would love to just "get good", but I just don't see how. I watch streamers, tip videos, and everything, but since I'm rarely against anyone near my skill level, I have no chance to practice it.
PLEASE consider turning off SBMM completely, or temporarily until you can rework it. I wanna play this game so badly but I just can't. It's so terrible in the current state it is with matchmaking.
Comments
MM generally isn't a fun concept. If it works perfectly, then you feel "stuck". Without MM, sometimes you're killing it, sometimes you're getting killed. With working MM, it's a struggle every match. Getting forced into a certain population ends up making the gameplay a bit stale.
That's just my opinion, however. I'll tell you one thing, I hate getting to Iridescent I as killer, because so many matches either have a cheater, dealing with bully squads, or EVERYONE is a looper, so the entire match is just chasing with loops. Not a fun experience.