Why can't we hear People's Footsteps if they have Iron Will?

Title. Just why? The Survivor is clenching his teeth and Buttcheeks. At least realistically, We should be able to hear Footsteps.

This would be a great nerf to combos with Dance with me, Lucky Break and Shadowstep. Hearing Footsteps wouldn't make said perks annoying as hell.

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Footsteps are just screwed up regardless, no?

    Although...and this is a shot in the dark based off of some amateur knowledge I gained about Apex Legends awhile ago...maybe this is an audio prioritization issue? I know Apex (really, Source engine, which Apex runs on a heavily modified version of) has an audio prioritization system, and it's one of the reasons why footstep audio in that game is so heavily complained about. There are often so many sounds going off at once that footsteps can essentially be "eaten" and fail to play at all, which makes combat legibility awful in that game at times (or did, haven't played in awhile).

    Maybe DbD has a similar thing going on with its audio problems. And...going further, maybe it's something as simple like them muting/turning the audio to 0 instead of disabling it? Like even though survivors don't breathe while injured maybe the audio file is still active, taking up a priority spot? Would explain why the downed survivor audio bug was so prevalent too. Maybe the game is technically playing healthy, injured, and downed audio files all at once (or some combination of them) but just has the volume set to 0 on some of them. That might be a problem?

    I'm probably way off the mark considering neither Apex nor DbD have fixed these issues, certain textures in DbD have had audio bugs in the past, Eyrie of Crows' sandy existence, and the fact that I'm no programmer. But it goes to show how hard it can be to even begin to solve these issues. It's very rarely a "just fix it, change a number" moment.

    I do think Iron Will needs reworked if they're not going to spend the time tackling the issue, though.

    E: Also I forgot to say, DbD's audio occlusion system is wack. Could have something to do with it as well.

    Just a bit weird, they could just program Healthy State Sound when injured if they have Iron Will as a Perk. I think they programmed it that Injured States sound to be disabled but forgot footsteps to be included there so there are zero sounds

    .

  • You do, but footsteps are really unreliable.

    In places like Grim Pantry or Pale Rose, you'll be able to pick it up bettr on the muddy areas, or hear it on the metal platforms on Ironworks.


    Footsteps, generally, are very quiet - especially on basic dirt.


    I second Bloodshade, though.

    The audio is totally unreliable, because their occlusion is a bit spaghetti at times.

  • I hear footsteps very well most of the time, even better when they have IW. (when there is no chase music)

    They even added different footstep sounds for different types of shoes and barefoot.