Matchmaking test results questions/thoughts
The devs posted the results from their recent matchmaking results and it’s an interesting read. Some questions and thoughts going through it
- One thing that’s not mentioned which I’m really curious about but which is really unclear from the article is how exactly does the matchmaking system handle finding a killer to go against a swf where one player in it is a high rating and another player is a low rating? It’s not obvious how the expanding brackets interact when there is a swf available where one member is 2000 and the other member is 1000. Even at the maximum brackets for instance those two players wouldn’t normally play against each other, so how exactly does the system handle finding a killer to go against them or solo survivors to pair with them? Does it take the average? Does it use the highest rating of the two, the lowest? It’s not even clear which method is statiscally the best at a glance.
- The article mentions hiding grades which I fully support. But I’d love to see them replaced with character portraits so I know who played what in the match.
- The devs said they know which model they’re going to go with but didn’t say when it was going into effect. Is this something we’ll be seeing this week? In a month?
- Along with hiding the grades, has there been a reconsideration of showing a rough indicator of relative MMR amounts to you? As in, for instance, showing an ⬆️ or ⬇️ to indicate someone is higher or lower rated than you. It would still be interesting to know how the game rates the opponents you were up against.
Anyway the changes sound fine to me. Overall I think my matches have been better under MMR than the old system and the test nights were pretty normal for me as well with the exception of the one day I got a full set of four Iri 1 survivors. (Which is unusual, typically at most I see one or two Iri 1s at a time since there aren’t a ton of players at that grade. Either it was an actual 4-man squad I happened to go against or my MMR on that killer was higher than I thought and it was the day where the brackets were tightened or both.)
Comments
I'll try to answer your questions.
SWF - the average of the party is taken and a killer found around that average.
When we have information on when things are ready to be changed, this is something we will advise on - as of right now there's no confirmed date.
The showing of the MMR scores has been brought up a few times, as of right now there's no plans to show these numbers.
I hope that helps a bit.
Thanks! I always wondered about that swf thing, I thought for sure it was something being tested this time but it was the bracket testing that was probably resulting in the tighter pairings that one day.