Please give Boon: Dark Theory a secondary effect
Out of the 4 boon perks we have, Dark Theory is the only one that doesn't have any kind of secondary effect that goes alongside their main effect.
COH = Increases healing speed and lets you heal without a medkit
Expontential = Let's you recover faster and get up without a teammate or perk
Shadowstep = Hides your scratch marks and auras from the killer
Dark theory is by far the weakest boon perk and that's for obvious reasons, you can't have a boon that increases survivor movement speed by too much otherwise it brings on a whole other host of balance issues. That's why I think giving it a second supplementary effect would make it a much better and impactful perk.
Here are a few random suggestions for a secondary effect:
- Have it briefly reveal the killers aura for a few seconds when the perk is first set up or snuffed. Not a super impactful effect but a thematic one
- While in range, have it reveal the auras of injured survivors (Basically a totem empathy)
- Maybe let it speed up vaulting by 2% as well (Not so sure about this one ngl)
- Substantially increase the lingering effect to something like 30 seconds or something.
If anyone else has any random ideas, please post them below!
Comments
Thoughtful post, OP. The vault speed idea is the only one that seems consistent with what the boon is meant to be and how the other secondary effects work. Thanks for pointing that out.
I too didn’t realize it was the only boon with only one effect until I read your post. I’m ok with any of your ideas, but the empathy one seems rather weak for a boon. Plus all the aura reading perks survivors already have.
I'm scared to give it vaulting speed as that might make it stronger in the areas it's already strongest in and not do much in other places. I wouldn't be opposed to increasing the linger time a bit, but 30 seconds is way too much. I like your killer aura reveal idea too.
Yeah like I said these were just random ideas I came up with on the spot, it's hard coming up with secondary effects
The empathy idea mainly comes from the fact that Yoichi's other perk is all about showing yourself to your teammates so having a boon that does the reverse would be a neat bit of synergy between his perks
+5% of vaulting speed, It would completely fine, not OP or useless.
2% vault speed changes a 0.5 sec fast vault to 0.49 secs, and 0.9 medium to 0.88. It's very tiny.
I'd make it more like 5%, personally.
I did notice that it didn't have a concrete secondary effect although I was confused whether the linger effect WAS the secondary effect.
The vault speed fits best with the perk and would definitely make Dark Theory have a much better impact in the trial.
Increase the amount of time that the perk remains active while outside of range to 60 seconds. That's all it needs.
I'd agree but Shadowstep also has a lingering effect as well as having 2 effects which is why Dark theory having no secondary effect confuses me a bit
Glad people like the vault speed idea though!