Profanity filter MUST have a "turn off" option

No that is not just another "chat filter sucks" thread this one is actually calling out a bigger problem.

Some people who play dead by daylight are actually non-English speakers and the chat filter seems to be WAY harsher on that people. Personally, I am Brazilian and I see a lot of people Spanish or Portuguese saying nice things that turn out to be "### ####### ##" so that makes them look like they are being bad sportsmanship and makes people instinctively talk ######### back.

I understand that saying phone numbers or addresses could be a problem and that is probably why the chat filter is in. But when we are talking about other languages or countries it is very easy for such things to bypass the chat filter.

Turns out this feature just makes ppl salty because the "true swear and terrible words" easily goes unnoticed because there is a lot of them in other languages and the words that actually are a good thing get a chance of being censored at random.

Situation (consider people saying a different language):

Person 1 says: This game was ###### #### ###### ###(very nice thank you)

Person 1: #### ####* (very nice)

Person 2: U were just bad lol, die and uninstall.


Turns out this is just an instrument that indirectly incentivizes toxic behavior and frustration.

Comments

  • Yes, I'm brazilian and I can confirm chat filter is banning very random words, the other day it censored the word "honor" for me lmao

  • I would prefer a toggle for chat filter as well.

    They do have some logical filters though. It most definitely prevents people from sharing personal information and social media information. When you extrapolate that into what it’s preventing, I’m okay with it.

    But then it prevents crude banter that I don’t mind including. Like let them say the nasty thing to me. BUT. It also makes non-crude statements seemingly read as cussing someone out because all we see are poorly placed hashtags.

  • And if somebody wants to swear, they can. So chat filter does not prevent it.

    I received messages like this:

    4uk you

    as hol