What are the devs ideas on reducing grind?

They shoot down anything the community puts forth, so I'm curious as to what the devs consider? Rank reset is a patch job, at best. Even if you have the time to get to Iri 1, two million won't get you far on a single character, especially if you have progress in others. Bloodhunts are rare and far between. Anniversary event is once a year, so cakes are again, rare. Halloween events don't do much.

I finally got a friend into the game due to the free weekend, and he's already considering backing out because of how daunting the grind is. It's an incredible amount of time to invest, especially with such a faulty MMR system in place.

So, what's the plan?

Comments

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2850941#Comment_2850941

    There's not really a simple answer to this, but we've learned from the past to not overpromise too early. There's always a risk something gets pushed or cut back, and then you end up with a lot of understandably upset people. Even if you try to make it as clear as possible that something is subject to change, there's bound to be a game of broken telephone where someone tells their friend, but doesn't mention the specifics, and then they tell their friends, etc. Now their friend is expecting it in the next update because that detail was left out, and so are all of their friends, etc. Even earlier in this thread there were some misconceptions of what we've said in the past. (No shade, we don't expect everyone to memorize what we've said word for word, that's not realistic.)

    Beyond that, game development is way more complex than it seems, and things are always at risk of being pushed back. We plan our updates many months in advance to prepare as best we can, but unexpected things can cause a domino effect that affect future updates. So, we try not to go into too much detail until something is close. That way we have a better idea of what's at risk of getting cut before getting people's hopes up.

    Basically, while it's already on our minds, it's still too early to spill all the beans and get everyone's hopes up. I love sharing details on things like this, but what I don't love is disappointing many people for months until it finally appears in the game.

    But should I still bother getting p3 and all the parks on all of my Killers?

    Seriously. I would like to know. I have them all p3 except Sadako, and then next I am getting them all to level 50, AND THEN unlocking all the perks on all of them.

    Should I like wait?

    EDIT: and this is like years of work were talking about here, I don't play this game all hours or every day of the week.

  • It really sucks coming out of a high-scoring win and then spend all those points and get nowhere. From feeling powerful to feeling impoverished.

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2850941#Comment_2850941

    There's not really a simple answer to this, but we've learned from the past to not overpromise too early. There's always a risk something gets pushed or cut back, and then you end up with a lot of understandably upset people. Even if you try to make it as clear as possible that something is subject to change, there's bound to be a game of broken telephone where someone tells their friend, but doesn't mention the specifics, and then they tell their friends, etc. Now their friend is expecting it in the next update because that detail was left out, and so are all of their friends, etc. Even earlier in this thread there were some misconceptions of what we've said in the past. (No shade, we don't expect everyone to memorize what we've said word for word, that's not realistic.)

    Beyond that, game development is way more complex than it seems, and things are always at risk of being pushed back. We plan our updates many months in advance to prepare as best we can, but unexpected things can cause a domino effect that affect future updates. So, we try not to go into too much detail until something is close. That way we have a better idea of what's at risk of getting cut before getting people's hopes up.

    Basically, while it's already on our minds, it's still too early to spill all the beans and get everyone's hopes up. I love sharing details on things like this, but what I don't love is disappointing many people for months until it finally appears in the game.

    You're right and I completely agree, better not to spoil things too soon for various reasons! I think you were referring to the Wraith cube, right?

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2850517#Comment_2850517

    We did not. In fact, we've said the exact opposite: We do not consider it a fix to the grind in the slightest, it's an improvement to grade rewards, nothing else.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2850459#Comment_2850459

    I can also confirm that we don't see it as something that encourages people to play more. A certain amount of grinding, sure, it can give you a goal to work towards and keep you interested. But if it becomes too much, then the goal feels unattainable and you lose interest in trying to achieve it.

    To the original topic: It's too early to share details now, but we have a massive grind reduction in the works. I'm looking forward to the day we're finally able to share it with everyone.

    Hopefully the wait will be worth it.

  • None. They don't care. As long as you buy their shiny new pair of reskins nothing will change.

  • Well you got word that something is being worked on. Game development takes time. What more do you want?

  • To be honest, if they removed the perk tiers, I don’t even think they’d need to overhaul blood points awarded or add blood hunts. Removing tiers would represent a massive, massive reduction in the grind. As it stands, it takes thousands of hours of playing to max out everyone and get all perks on everyone.

    And it’s not as if people who enjoy the game will stop playing once they finish the grind. I think hardcore players have their builds and play the game because they enjoy it. They won’t care that they have no more perks to buy.

  • @AnchorTea said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2851050#Comment_2851050

    Well you got word that something is being worked on. Game development takes time. What more do you want?

    Complaints about the grind have been going on for as long as I can remember. What I wanted was for this to be addressed years ago already, because it was obviously NOT a sustainable model

  • @AnchorTea said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2851050#Comment_2851050

    Well you got word that something is being worked on. Game development takes time. What more do you want?

    Given that it took 3 years to fix the nurse bugs, "soon" has lost all meaning coming from BHVR.

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2850941#Comment_2850941

    There's not really a simple answer to this, but we've learned from the past to not overpromise too early. There's always a risk something gets pushed or cut back, and then you end up with a lot of understandably upset people. Even if you try to make it as clear as possible that something is subject to change, there's bound to be a game of broken telephone where someone tells their friend, but doesn't mention the specifics, and then they tell their friends, etc. Now their friend is expecting it in the next update because that detail was left out, and so are all of their friends, etc. Even earlier in this thread there were some misconceptions of what we've said in the past. (No shade, we don't expect everyone to memorize what we've said word for word, that's not realistic.)

    Beyond that, game development is way more complex than it seems, and things are always at risk of being pushed back. We plan our updates many months in advance to prepare as best we can, but unexpected things can cause a domino effect that affect future updates. So, we try not to go into too much detail until something is close. That way we have a better idea of what's at risk of getting cut before getting people's hopes up.

    Basically, while it's already on our minds, it's still too early to spill all the beans and get everyone's hopes up. I love sharing details on things like this, but what I don't love is disappointing many people for months until it finally appears in the game.

    I have to disagree with what I'm assuming is the general consensus of the developers.

    I don't see how it can cause any negative issues if you were to, for an example, say, "Okay, the plan is that we want to change this to that, and that to this, then if we can get that working, change this thing to that thing here."

    You may get children asking you are you there yet every couple days, but the majority would actually be thankful and be less worried for the future of DbD. As it stands, all you give us is "We're doing something, trust."

    Which in the past has led to situations such as the absolute mess that was the update to the hud and animations when they were first released, the changes to perks and killer add-ons that nobody, not even someone that hates everything, would have questioned. The worst example of them all though, which I can't not bring up time and time again to these responses, was the time people were asked so often about it that they snapped at comments during a stream.

    I don't see how it would be a problem for someone from the team to give an update once a week or even once a month of saying "Currently we've done this, but this isn't working so we need to fix that first," as an example. Especially for a change that almost everyone is wanting.

  • Seems pretty obvious from this thread that many players, myself included, are tired of waiting for a change to the grind. A change has been needed desperately for at least a year or two.

    It has been continuously talked about on these forums how bad the grind is for a long time.

    I hope the change is as good as advertised when it comes, but leaving it this long with only minor changes (monthly rewards, bp events more often) really shows a lack of understanding of just how offputting the current grind is. I have thousands of hours in the game now, but if I was a new player I would take one look at the grind and find a different game. Absolutely.

    If I might make a suggestion: make spending bloodpoints less of a chore. When I have all the perks for a character, and just need to get addons I don't want to waste all my time on bloodweb after bloodweb. If you could add a button that instantly and randomly fills out the current bloodweb that would definitely help the grind 'feel better'.

1 2 ›