Returning PS4 player experience

I’ve been playing since console launch when Huntress was free DLC and the latest killer.

I always wanted Sadako added as I loved the original movie when it came out, but thought when Spirit was added I would never see it.

I quit playing due to the performance issues that became unplayable when Nemesis released, and it remained that way until I deleted the game when Artist released; despite there being a forum thread here by Pulsar with more posts than the entire optimisation sub forum where we were uploading clips of freezing and were told it was helping the team fix the issues.

Against my better judgement I decided to try the game again due to Sadako and the issues still remain unresolved with freezing when certain actions happen anywhere on the map; this is as survivor and killer is always much worse.

I was also put in a match with another bottom rank player and 2 same costume SWF grade 1 players; I know it is not relevant to skill but they obviously played this month alone a hell of a lot.

Both these players refused to play normally and dropped every pallet at the beginning with the killer nowhere around us and then proceeded to block interaction points like windows and the TVs so we could not play normally either, and the other player went afk with crows all match.

Happy to say I did not fall into the hype trap and spend money on the new content and will not be playing again in this state.

Sad to see the game still running so poorly after all these years when next gen games like Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West still being released looking and running amazingly on my base PS4.

It doesn’t seem like the performance will ever be fixed at this point and they’re waiting for people to upgrade or quit, but with no cross progression still it really limits my options when I’ve spent money on every DLC up to Artist and over a thousand hours unlocking/progressing all the characters.

Super depressing as otherwise love the game even with the balance grumbles everyone else has, and hate feeling like I can’t play it.

Comments

  • i know.

    i tried my best but it wasn't enough.


    As an aside, my Xbox One is out of commission. It finally kicked the bucket after nearly a decade. This means I have to get my One X set up again which is a pain

  • @Pulsar said:

    i know.

    i tried my best but it wasn't enough.

    As an aside, my Xbox One is out of commission. It finally kicked the bucket after nearly a decade. This means I have to get my One X set up again which is a pain

    Ah that sucks :’(

    I thought you’d managed to snag yourself a series X or something last time I checked the thread?

    Really appreciate everything you did to bring awareness to the struggle either way! It really seemed like we might have made some progress :(

    Can only apologise for my absence but it was really affecting my mental health and had to try and stop thinking about the game for a while :(

    With the scarcity of PS5 and the lack of any good exclusive next gen games; I’ve actually been looking at the Steam Deck as an option as it’s cheaper and a really nice bit of tech, but the lack of cross progression would mean I’m stuck to Playstation if I want to stay with DbD. Even GamePass looks amazing and is great value!

    I’ve been enjoying playing other things but love this game so much and don’t really want to admit that I will probably never be able to play it properly again, my hope has kind of been destroyed over this long time and playing other things has only cemented the fact that it’s nothing to do with the hardware that’s limiting performance.

    Elden Ring is amazing in scale and density of the world, plus it looks and runs amazingly with only a few visible cut corners to make it work such as limiting animation frames of enemies when a lot is on screen or in the distance; it’s actually witchcraft it’s running tbh! :)