How to slow down the speed at which 5 gens are made without slowing a single gen?
Slowing the speed of a single gen is out of the question. It's already boring enough as it is.
Ideally ...
- It should naturally force interaction between players (between survivors and with the killer)
- It should prevent doing gens in parallel, maybe making it counter-productive.
- Hopefully it should also make tunneling and/or camping counter-productive.
Maybe the points shouldn't be too focused on kills and escaping but on hooks (and unhooks), chases and hiding.
A few ideas, some mutually exclusive, some bad, some worse:
Gens are cursed together. There is total a maximum speed for doing all generators. Either ...
- The first gen being done takes the hand. Other gens can only be done at a fraction of the speed. If that first gen is being let go, it takes a while for another gen to take the hand.
- All gens can be done together but the maximum speed is divided between all of them.
(With both ideas, a single generator speed is at least as fast as it is now. The issue is what to do to occupy the other survivors. One on a gen, one on bones (maybe because it increases the speed further), one in a chase, one ready to help?)
The killer being in a chase increases the maximum gen speed. (In essence, because evil is being distracted.)
The killer seeing survivors increases the maximum gen speed. (Which double as a warning for attentive survivors.)
If the killer keeps chasing the same survivors instead of spreading the pain, his "obsession" makes it more distracted and further increases the maximum generator speed.
Dying hard-camped or tunneled should maybe give some compensation points.
Ideas?
Comments
"The killer being in a chase increases the maximum gen speed. (In essence, because evil is being distracted.)"
So if the killer is behind you make it harder for them to catch up?
"The killer seeing survivors increases the maximum gen speed. (Which double as a warning for attentive survivors.)"
Again if you're behind this just makes it worse, ill be in a swf use OoO so you see me and my friends get a speed boost without a killer being there.
You want killers to interact more, and not tunnel?
Easy, make gen regression meaningful, make insta stop regression not a thing. Add a lifespam to Coh, so it only has so many heals, or that t can be destroyed.
With gen regression not a thing and healing being op, why not get value by making it a 3v1.
I'm not sure what you mean. I think it's the opposite. (Catch up?) While the killer chases someone, the other survivors can move faster on generators.
By seeing, I'm not speaking about wall-hack perks. I mean direct line of sight. (If it makes it clearer.) I'll amend the post if you confirm.
By insta-stop you mean gen-tapping? Yes, that's quite annoying. I usually answer harshly to that ...
I agree that slowing down gens faster may help but most good teams do not care even about ruin. They just don't let go.
And if I'd like to see CoH go back to the hell that spawned it, it's only the most recent addition to the problem. The devs said they'll be looking at it (I'm not naive, they didn't give a year) so I'd rather wait to see what they'll do. All the boons are more or less problematic the way the are. Being able to destroy them would solve the problem once and for all. I'd trade that for a way faster build time.
(I'm not a survivor main btw, I play both roles. If you thought I was a survivor main, I'll take that as a sign these aren't too killer-biased :) )
I'm not sure what you mean. I think it's the opposite. (Catch up?) While the killer chases someone, the other survivors can move faster on generators.
Say if you've done 1 gen and the killer has no hooks well im chasing someone you're able to do the other gens faster. Thus the killer falls behind more.
And by regression i wasnt refering to Ruin, i was meaning when i kick a gen it needs to do a meaniful amount of damage, and you need to spend a meaniful amount of time to stop it regressing.
If you want Killers to stop camping and tunneling, give them an objective that has value, because kicking gens is not value for time invested unless you're next to one on a down.
Say if you've done 1 gen and the killer has no hooks well im chasing someone you're able to do the other gens faster. Thus the killer falls behind more.
Except that they can only work efficiently on one gen. The biggest problem is doing gens in parallel IMHO.
And by regression i wasnt refering to Ruin, i was meaning when i kick a gen it needs to do a meaniful amount of damage, and you need to spend a meaniful amount of time to stop it regressing.
Yes, I understand and I agree that in the current setup it would help somewhat. There have been a lot of discussions about that in the past.
But what I meant with Ruin is that the hex is useless against good teams because they'll not care. Unless kicking a gen blocks it for 30 seconds or something the other gens will still pop. (Genrush is parallelism, that's the killer.)
If you want Killers to stop camping and tunneling, give them an objective that has value, because kicking gens is not value for time invested unless you're next to one on a down.
Yes, kicking gens is rarely a good move. I don't even use slow-down perks on my main. I just try to kill them all as fast as possible.
Giving something else to do is nice. I still believe that as long as gens are flying killing someone fast will be the easiest answer.
How about a survivor can only work on a specific gen. Like how Freddy's clock work where you have 1 clock that's for you. I just think the biggest issue is start of match. Survivors spawn on top of gens/totems and rarely do they have travel time to first gen. Meanwhile killer could spawn in middle of map (Haddonfield is terrible for this) and choose wrong side and blamo.
I play lots of survivor so I want nothing to do with increasing gens but increasing travel time and or survivor specific gens could add some rng (yes I know we already have a bunch) to gens.
IDK chances are I missing something or could get exploited some how. Oh Nurse/Blight game stays the same lol.
This is under the assumption gen speeds are too fast currently, but that might not be the case. The devs want the median results for matches to be 1-3 kills, meaning most matches they want the gates to be open and someone to get out but not before someone dies. So under that metric you should be seeing the gens being done most of the time assuming the survivors play as well as the killer.
Now if 0 kills is happening too often when all the players are the same MMR then yes, making it harder to finish gens males sense. But I haven’t seen any stats one way or another that indicate that’s the case, and a lot of people who complain about gen speeds seem to think they shouldn’t be finished 50% of the time which isn’t how the game is intended to work.
Gen Speeds are fast... With Perks, Items and Great skillchecks
Gen Times are good... 80 seconds (charges) per Gen (minus Great skillchecks, perks and Items) is good enough
Gen regression needs to be increased at base... and Perks can then be tuned around that
Gen Taping can be an issue... But seeing how base Gen Regression is a moot point it causes Gen Tapping to be even worse
They tried to make Gen slower by implementing a bigger penalty to multiple Survivors on one Gen
So either make the repair have a penalty at the start of the match or decrease the Gen Speeds with Perks and Items
I've had an idea where the quickest all gens can be done is 5 minutes. For the first 5 minutes of the match, only 1 gen can be done per minute. Until it rolls over to the next minute, the gen will have to stay at 99%. Once that time is over, just tap the gen and it's done. This does cause problems with stuff like Ruin, so maybe make it to where if the gen is at 99% like that, it stays there unless the killer comes to kick it, even if they have Ruin. This can even give killers opportunities to use Pop while they have Ruin, like the good old days.