Better incentives for higher rank

Hey there, new to posting on the boards but have lurked since I purchased the game during the Halloween sale.

I've seen a fair bit of discussion and complaints that there is almost no incentive to achieving high rank because getting high rank just means more difficult matches, often against cookie-cutter builds and perks. This leads to much more of an incentive to disconnecting the moment something goes wrong because the loss of pips is a silver lining rather than a punishment, and sometimes intentional disconnects to de-pip.

So what can be done?

Personally, I think a small BP multiplier based on your rank would help add a little incentive to staying higher on the scale.

Something like 1.25x at rank 1 that tapers off to 0.8x at rank 20.

This would also discourage the use of expensive addons and offerings at the lower ranks (steam rolling people who are still unlocking stuff) if you know you could be higher due to it not being a cost efficient.

Will it solve the problem completely? No. But I don't think anything will and every little bit helps. The obvious flaw of such an implementation would be that it provides almost no incentive to those that already have anything and everything BP could buy, but it's not like the situation would differ to how it is now for those people.

Thoughts on my idea (am I just crazy)? Your own ideas?

Comments

  • I like it. If it's the same for both sides I assume?

    It's not broken like permanent x2, but would make people want to stay at and FIGHT for their rank. Thus granting rewards to those deserving and not trolling for them. 

    It also isnt tied to devotion or prestige, so you couldnt still passively or troll to earn.

    I'm not going to agree 100% with the numbers, but I dont have others in mind. They would probably need some testing or tweaking, but it's a good starting point.

    For the people with everything bp can buy, they can always use offerings and items if they want to stay at the rank, but for those that still dont need bp and troll...

    Maybe if you maintain rank 1 for a x% of games with so many games required per week, or season, you could earn iridescent shards? Those can be used in cosmetics, whoch everyone likes. While I dont expect them to grant 20$ worth of them, maybe 3/4k, increasing by 1k per month you hold it up to a cap? More than you get by leveling for the time required, but not enough to mitigate their auric cell purchases, if that makes sense?
  • @Carpemortum said:
    I like it. If it's the same for both sides I assume?

    It's not broken like permanent x2, but would make people want to stay at and FIGHT for their rank. Thus granting rewards to those deserving and not trolling for them. 

    It also isnt tied to devotion or prestige, so you couldnt still passively or troll to earn.

    I'm not going to agree 100% with the numbers, but I dont have others in mind. They would probably need some testing or tweaking, but it's a good starting point.

    Yes, both sides.

    The numbers I just tossed out there. I didn't want to make any benefit rival any special BP event that could happen and I thought that only having the multiplier go into positives would speed up the grind too much.

    Maybe if you maintain rank 1 for a x% of games with so many games required per week, or season, you could earn iridescent shards? Those can be used in cosmetics, and while I dont expect them to grant 20$ worth of them, maybe 3/4k, increasing by 1k per month you hold it up to a cap? More than you get by leveling for the time required, but not enough to mitigate their auric cell purchases, if that makes sense?

    Rather than that, just make the % also apply to character level, that would indirectly effect shard gain.

  • Forgive these failed comments. Mobile is hard.
  • @Carpemortum said:
    I like it. If it's the same for both sides I assume?

    It's not broken like permanent x2, but would make people want to stay at and FIGHT for their rank. Thus granting rewards to those deserving and not trolling for them. 

    It also isnt tied to devotion or prestige, so you couldnt still passively or troll to earn.

    I'm not going to agree 100% with the numbers, but I dont have others in mind. They would probably need some testing or tweaking, but it's a good starting point.

    Yes, both sides.

    The numbers I just tossed out there. I didn't want to make any benefit rival any special BP event that could happen and I thought that only having the multiplier go into positives would speed up the grind too much.

    Maybe if you maintain rank 1 for a x% of games with so many games required per week, or season, you could earn iridescent shards? Those can be used in cosmetics, and while I dont expect them to grant 20$ worth of them, maybe 3/4k, increasing by 1k per month you hold it up to a cap? More than you get by leveling for the time required, but not enough to mitigate their auric cell purchases, if that makes sense?

    Rather than that, just make the % also apply to character level, that would indirectly effect shard gain.


    I misread I think. You mean % of games to be won affected by character level?
  • @Carpemortum said:
    I misread I think. You mean % of games to be won affected by character level?

    I was thinking along the lines of (if I were to be using my numbers in the OP)

    rank 1: 1.25x BP and XP gain
    rank 20: 0.8x BP and XP gain

  • Though thinking on it, my suggestion might make farming games more common. And I feel like that's against the spirit of the game.

  • Ahhh I see. Affect how much xp is gained thanks to rank, thus granting devotion, levels, and shards faster. Gotchya.

    Also I did indeed misread.
  • Better incentives? you mean any incentives? :wink:

  • Though thinking on it, my suggestion might make farming games more common. And I feel like that's against the spirit of the game.

    Probably not, tbh. If this were to be a common thing in DbD, it won't be treated special. It might cause farming for the first week or so, but shortly after that it'll be business as usual.