MM is...questionable, to put it lightly
So if I had to give a number from the past 20 matches as killer how many have had at least 3/4 survivors be between red ranks 1-4, I would say a solid 15/20. To be fair, I used to be a red rank 1 killer a little over a year ago (long before the MMR system rework), however, I feel like since I'm getting back into the game as of a week or two ago, it's a coinflip as to whether I go up against a 4-man red rank SWF or a solo queue red rank group. I understand I was a rank 1 killer over a year ago, but surely you can't expect me to perform at the same level after taking a whole year off from the game. I'm currently Silver 3, however about a good 80-85% of the games I play have at least 3 red rank survivors I'm going up against. Only about 15% of my matches I play have a majority of survivors that are in my rank range (ash-gold). I like this game, I really do, but it gets tiring having to sweat to barely get a 2k against some of these groups I'm getting put up against.
Comments
Grades (what used to be called ranks) aren't used in matchmaking.
well then, what's their purpose then? for aesthetics?
The emblem system (and by extension the grades that correlate to them) is something of a monthly progression ladder, it's how far along you got and therefore how much of a reward you get on the 13th when they revert back to 0.
It exists to give you a measure of how well you played within a specific game, the matchmaking is totally separate now.
(Worth mentioning that the devs have floated the idea of removing your teammates/opponent's grades from the score screen at the end, as a thing they're considering to help cut down on the confusion.)
You get bps when rank resets.