What do you like about boons?

Anytime boons (particularly COH) are brought up in a conversation, I see people saying that while they are ridiculous, they like the concept of them. So now I'm genuinely curious, what is it that you like about boons? Do you like that they give survivors another objective? Is it that they spice up gameplay for you? Or do you just enjoy farming tears and salt from killers in the end game chat? Because lets be honest, most boons (aside from COH) aren't viable and only exist seemingly to annoy and irritate killers.

Comments

  • What I like about boons is what I perceive to be their intended play- survivors get a buff in a limited area, but it's at risk of being snuffed by the killer, and if the killer's on top of snuffing it a lot then the survivors are at risk of spending more time blessing than the perk actually gives them back in value.

    They're a good idea that push survivors off generators so they can get a buff, but that the killer can then either snuff out for more slowdown or can use as bait to draw survivors out of position. It's a good concept, it just needs a little work!

  • @jesterkind said:

    What I like about boons is what I perceive to be their intended play- survivors get a buff in a limited area, but it's at risk of being snuffed by the killer, and if the killer's on top of snuffing it a lot then the survivors are at risk of spending more time blessing than the perk actually gives them back in value.

    They're a good idea that push survivors off generators so they can get a buff, but that the killer can then either snuff out for more slowdown or can use as bait to draw survivors out of position. It's a good concept, it just needs a little work!

    I agree with that, it would be neat if they were a fair mechanic that the killer could play around, but at the moment I just feel incredibly stressed to find the totem and even then they can just relight it. If the radius were shrunk and the time to boon was increased, I wouldn't mind them all that much.

  • @ActualPainedFrog said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2771051#Comment_2771051

    I agree with that, it would be neat if they were a fair mechanic that the killer could play around, but at the moment I just feel incredibly stressed to find the totem and even then they can just relight it. If the radius were shrunk and the time to boon was increased, I wouldn't mind them all that much.

    Circle of Healing is by far the biggest problem- when the only boon is one of the other two, or even both at once, the survivors need you to be in its radius as well before they can use it properly, so it's far more likely you'll know where it is to snuff it.

    Once CoH is brought in line, the mechanic will be much more interesting for everyone- though I do have some more minor annoyances with it even then, it's a good idea.

  • I like that they make killer mains angry, they aren't even that good, bruh.

  • As survivor, you can heal almost instantly mid chase, and if the Killer goes after the totem survivor gets a free escape.

    I abused the absolute poopers out of this.

  • They changed up the meta combos.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2771067#Comment_2771067

    Circle of Healing is by far the biggest problem- when the only boon is one of the other two, or even both at once, the survivors need you to be in its radius as well before they can use it properly, so it's far more likely you'll know where it is to snuff it.

    Once CoH is brought in line, the mechanic will be much more interesting for everyone- though I do have some more minor annoyances with it even then, it's a good idea.

    That's where I disagree with you, I agree they are an interesting idea, but at the moment they aren't a small safe zone. Their literally massive circles of healing or circles of distortion/lucky break. If they were to have some meaningful counterplay other than "hold button on boon to make it go away for 30 seconds" then I'd be fine with them, but at the moment all they do is create yet ANOTHER problem for killers.

  • @Kurri said:

    As survivor, you can heal almost instantly mid chase, and if the Killer goes after the totem survivor gets a free escape.

    I abused the absolute poopers out of this.

    I don't bring COH out of principle, but I won't lie, I definitely abuse it hard when someone else brings it.

  • I also don't understand why people consider boons "another objective". It's not another objective. It's a reward, and power. An objective is things you have to do to reach your goal. You don't have to bless totems, you can go a whole game without blessing a totem - you just won't get the benefit of the perk. You are rewarded for blessing a totem.

    If BHVR were to add another objective, or make totems another objective. Then they would make it that survivors can't escape unless the totems were all cleansed/blessed.

  • @ActualPainedFrog said:

    Anytime boons (particularly COH) are brought up in a conversation, I see people saying that while they are ridiculous, they like the concept of them. So now I'm genuinely curious, what is it that you like about boons? Do you like that they give survivors another objective? Is it that they spice up gameplay for you? Or do you just enjoy farming tears and salt from killers in the end game chat? Because lets be honest, most boons (aside from COH) aren't viable and only exist seemingly to annoy and irritate killers.

    I like that I can heal without relying on my garbage solo que teammates that don’t help. The other two boons are mediocre at best not worth a perk slot

  • @deKlaw_04 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/306923/what-do-you-like-about-boons

    I like that I can heal without relying on my garbage solo que teammates that don’t help. The other two boons are mediocre at best not worth a perk slot

    When I solo queue, I always bring a brown medkit just in case my teammates won't heal me. I don't think shadow step is that bad, it just requires a Swf who use it intelligently. Exponential just sucks though, and is at best a slight time waster.