"Killers are too oppressive now"

I don't understand this argument and I hope someone can help me.

Yes, I know. The hold W meta is boring for both sides. But what's baffling me is that "oppressive killers are the reason! It was so much better back then!"

I mean... what? Sure, looping an Artist is pretty much impossible if she's smart and Nemesis' nearly instant wind up makes it a nightmare. But this claim has existed since Pyramid Head's release, and I wonder if this is just people getting nostalgia blind.

Old DBD had Clown into Original Spirit into Old Legion. 1 killer literally designed to be anti-loop, another being the pinnacle of unfairness, and the other being an abomination (and I love Legion; their original form was horrible). So even if you try blaming the string of anti-loop killers, we had a string of anti-loop killers before.

Beyond that, we had insta-saw (TRUE insta-saw with Tinkerer), 5 Blink Nurse, and Freshly reworked Freddy with true BT immunity, very strong slowdown add-ons (they used to be 12% and 9%; the 8% and 4% were a joke in comparison).

I think everyone is being blinded by nostalgia and trying to find a simple reason for a complex topic.

Yes, holding W sucks. But if holding W is easier, less risky, and buys guaranteed time after tossing a pallet.... why are we looping again? Isn't the entire point to conserve pallets and buy as much time as possible? But if pallets are plentiful enough that tossing and running are viable, isn't looping redundant if the team is playing well?

It's less of killers being oppressive, and more of players being smart. I don't blame survivors. I do it all the time and I mostly play killer because it's simply the best option most of the time, even against fully loopable killers like Myers (Especially when he's in T3).

Lemme know what you guys think. I shall wait here in my bunker as I wait out the ensuing chaos.

Comments

  • If you are high mmr, you do not need to conserve pallets. Such an overrated concept when the gens pop in around 5 minutes and the killer is basically forced to commit to long animations and travel time just to confirm hooks. I am not saying waste pallets, but why anyone would greed and risk a hit is beyond my understanding. That mentality came from pre mmr where your teammates were so potatoe that games would last 10-15 minutes while killers tried to 2 hook everyone before killing anyone.

  • 'Killers are too oppressive' = 'I lost, so please nerf Killers'. It, literally, can't mean anything else.

    Anyone who says this is basically saying 'I did not enjoy losing, please fix it so I can't lose'.

  • Oppressive killers in dbd?

  • Back then it was: If the Killer is stomping I can keep an eye out for Hatch. "I have a fallback objective to look out for if things go south."

    Now it's: If the Killer is stomping we have to wait until all but one of us dies and then it's a race, where the Killer has the speed advantage and advantage of not worrying about needing to be stealthy. "Pound Gens or get wrecked."