Small tweaks that can make The Trapper a bit more consistent and more fun!
Killer design has advanced a lot over the years with flashy and unique powers, but a lot of us like the good old slasher type basic m1 killers. I would like to suggest some changes to make basic m1 killers more up to date with the nowadays standards, but in this one I will talk about The Trapper.
Trapper addons got some love recently, but his basekit is pretty much the same for a long time, which is cool but at the same time can make him a predictable and limited killer in some scenarios. Heres some ideas that could help trapper:
1 - (passive) Trapper gains x% movement speed when moving in the direction of a survivor stuck in a beartrap. If the survivor is outside his terror radius, he gains a 20% mov speed buff, down to 10% if the survivor is within his terror radius. The buff is removed if The Trapper starts a chase, picks up the trapped survivor/free himself, or if he chooses to go in other direction than the caught survivor.
2 - (beartraps) Once caught in a beartrap, survivors cannot free themselves or get rescued for x seconds(I think 5 seconds would be okay), after the timer they can normally attempt to escape or get rescued by teammates. Even with the latest beartrap changes, survivors are still insta leaving traps quite often, which makes extremely disappointing to see your power not rewarding you at all, so I suggest this change to make things more consistent and have a better sinergy with the passive too.
🤗 These two changes would allow Trapper to move more freely trying to get survivors who got caught in a trap far away, rather than just have to ignore it as usual. Would allow for more fun and risky choices, which may or not pay off.
3 - (addon idea) Changes the colour of the beartrap to blend with the environment colour. Since theres a lot of maps without grass these days, would be interesting to have an addon like that imo. Would have to be careful to not make the traps invisible tho.
What you guys think? Since Trapper struggles with consistency and mobility, I think these changes would help his basekit a lot. Feel free to cooment and give your ideas too!
Comments
(Any numbers I list can be changed, for balance purposes, and are there to outline the idea)
I still think his traps should be invisible outside of 20 meters, partially visible between 10 and 19 meters, and fully visible 9 meters and closer. There reasoning is thus:
Also; all Traps should start armed. So Survivors will have to be careful from the word 'go'.
Or
Trapper should start carrying every trap. So he's not wasting two-and-a-half minutes of a 5 minute game hunting down & picking up his freaking Killer Power.
Alt. Idea:
Trapper can 'toss' his traps as he moves. They only go 4 meters, and take 3 seconds to arm:
Idk about the execution but I like your first idea. And yea, the ideal scenario would be starting with all traps, walking around the entire map to get traps is such a waste of time, but I don't think devs will change it since they made the Trappers Sack addon.