This Game Just Isn't Fun

Honestly, the last month or so of this game hasn't just been not fun, it has legitimately been the least fun I've ever had playing this game. This game doesn't even make me mad anymore, I'm just bored to damn near tears. There are so many issues right now that are more exhausting than anything else.

Gigantic maps. If I load into maps like Eyrie of Crows, Groaning Storehouse, Mother's Dwelling or Ormond, and I'm playing a killer with no mobility options, I just have to immediately come to terms with the fact that the match isn't going to go well. Gens pop before I have the chance to get to them at try to apply pressure, I don't even get mad, it's just "yep, that checks out".

Hit validation. Honestly one of the most poorly implemented features I've seen in my 4 or so years of playing this game. I've played on both sides of the game, and I can say with confidence, that being robbed of a hit as killer is infinitely more exhausting than having a kinda sus hit landed on me as survivor. I go down to a hit I feel wasn't deserved as a survivor it's just "damn. well really it's fine as long as my teammates do well on gens and someone comes to rescue me in a timely manner. We can still win this". If I get robbed of a hit as a killer its "Great, fantastic, now I have to do this entire chase all over again. I was finally going to end this chase that's been dragging on a little too long because I was finally able to outsmart them. Now I have nothing to show for my cool play."

Loops. Honestly it's just boring. I've had more instances where I can count where there's a loop setup, like the one with the car and long piles, where the killer I chose can't really do much of anything. So what happens is I just follow them, running it as tight as I can, 3 or 4 times in a row at one loop. The entire time just begging that the survivor just throw the pallet so I can get it out of the way and move on to the next loop. And I have to get rid of it this chase, because I know if I don't they'll run back to it later because they now know how strong it is.

Anti-Loop killers. For how boring loops is, playing most anti-loop killers isn't even fun. Hag, Executioner, Artist. They place down their ability and the chase just goes "ok, this loop is now shut down, let's run to a different one and repeat this process". Huntress, Death Slinger, Trickster. These should be some of the more effective anti-loop killers. But even their powers have limits. Some setups on maps are just so scuffed they can't get their power readied in time before the survivor has rounded another corner. They're borderline useless in loops with high walls. Nemesis, his tentacle's hitbox is so thin that I see no point in using it. Cenobite, the chains can be broken off before I can capitalize on the time I spent using my power.

God Structures. There are still some structures in this map that against certain killers are basically infinites. I'm looking primarily at groaning storehouse when I say this, but it applies to places like Rancid Abatoir, Father Campbells Church, The house of pain on either Lampkin Lane or Badham, the preschool on Badham, and The Ormond resort building. If I see a survivor run to these chances are I'll just go somewhere else cause I don't want to deal with the long and drawn out chase that's about to follow.

All these things really stack up together, to the point where any one of these things in a match will make me just give up. Except I don't want to DC, because I don't want a matchmaking penalty, so I just go to the corner of the map and walk away from my computer for a few minutes (which I'm sure is so much more fun for the survivors than if I had just DCd).

And yet I keep playing this is still my favorite game because I know that buried deep deep underneath all this is the potential to have some fun. Which makes it even more discouraging when each match I play is a boring slog just like the previous one. I don't have a lot of posts on this forum that are read by BHVR or mods or anything like that, but if any more of my posts get read by these people, I hope this is one of them, because more than anything I just want my favorite game to be fun again.

Comments