I don't know if this says more about me or the community (or both)

So, I play on PS5. I turned my messages off the first week I played the game, when a fellow survivor sent me a message telling me to off myself and other choice words after I didn't rush the hook to save them against a Basement-camping Bubba. I'm too old and with too many things to worry about in real life to waste time with people like that, and I'm grateful there's no post-game chat for me to see.

I played a match last night as Pig, playing perkless with common add-ons for a viewer who redeemed their channel points on Twitch. It was a fairly normal game -- I hooked everyone once and had multiple people on death hook when the last gen popped. A Claudette inexplicably died to a RBT (I don't even remember seeing her after she'd been hooked -- she must have done things with an active trap she shouldn't have and been unlucky in her box search). While chasing the Meg (on her death hook), I lost her but came across the Mikaela (also on death hook). After chasing the Mikaela down and finishing her off, the other two survivors got the gate open and left. I felt pretty good getting a 2K all things considered.

A little while later, I noticed that I'd gotten a friend request on my PS app. After checking usernames, I realized it was from the Mikaela.

Knowing that the only way someone can message me is if they're a "friend", I immediately thought the friend request had to be one of two things:

A: This survivor wanted to message me a GG, especially in light of my performance perkless with a perceived weak killer

B: This survivor (who had died) wanted to complain about something I'd done and/or worse

I re-watched the VOD of the match. I already knew I hadn't tunneled, hadn't camped (the closest thing to the latter was when the Mikaela was on 2nd hook between two gens with one gen left to be done -- I kicked both of them and broke a pallet before I headed off to the other end of the map). I played as "fair" as humanly possible in the match, so there was no conceivable reason I should expect I'd be getting some salt.

I thought about accepting the friend request -- and then quietly deleted it. I just assumed I was opening myself up for scenario "B" instead of "A", even though there should have been no reason to expect it.

I don't know if that says more about my pessimism about how people behave (either in-game or in real life) or about the perceived toxicity of the DBD community. In either case, it makes me disappointed. (And before anyone says anything, this isn't a "Killer vs. Survivor" thing, as I've ignored friend requests from killers I've gone against before for the same pessimistic reasons). I want to believe that the bad seeds in the community are the exception, not the rule (especially during a holiday time of year). It's difficult to do so, though. 😥

Comments

  • You 100% did the right thing for your own mental health.

    Don't worry about not accepting messages from randoms.

  • @ChiSoxFan11 said:

    So, I play on PS5. I turned my messages off the first week I played the game, when a fellow survivor sent me a message telling me to off myself and other choice words after I didn't rush the hook to save them against a Basement-camping Bubba. I'm too old and with too many things to worry about in real life to waste time with people like that, and I'm grateful there's no post-game chat for me to see.

    I played a match last night as Pig, playing perkless with common add-ons for a viewer who redeemed their channel points on Twitch. It was a fairly normal game -- I hooked everyone once and had multiple people on death hook when the last gen popped. A Claudette inexplicably died to a RBT (I don't even remember seeing her after she'd been hooked -- she must have done things with an active trap she shouldn't have and been unlucky in her box search). While chasing the Meg (on her death hook), I lost her but came across the Mikaela (also on death hook). After chasing the Mikaela down and finishing her off, the other two survivors got the gate open and left. I felt pretty good getting a 2K all things considered.

    A little while later, I noticed that I'd gotten a friend request on my PS app. After checking usernames, I realized it was from the Mikaela.

    Knowing that the only way someone can message me is if they're a "friend", I immediately thought the friend request had to be one of two things:

    A: This survivor wanted to message me a GG, especially in light of my performance perkless with a perceived weak killer

    B: This survivor (who had died) wanted to complain about something I'd done and/or worse

    I re-watched the VOD of the match. I already knew I hadn't tunneled, hadn't camped (the closest thing to the latter was when the Mikaela was on 2nd hook between two gens with one gen left to be done -- I kicked both of them and broke a pallet before I headed off to the other end of the map). I played as "fair" as humanly possible in the match, so there was no conceivable reason I should expect I'd be getting some salt.

    I thought about accepting the friend request -- and then quietly deleted it. I just assumed I was opening myself up for scenario "B" instead of "A", even though there should have been no reason to expect it.

    I don't know if that says more about my pessimism about how people behave (either in-game or in real life) or about the perceived toxicity of the DBD community. In either case, it makes me disappointed. (And before anyone says anything, this isn't a "Killer vs. Survivor" thing, as I've ignored friend requests from killers I've gone against before for the same pessimistic reasons). I want to believe that the bad seeds in the community are the exception, not the rule (especially during a holiday time of year). It's difficult to do so, though. 😥

    It was 100% scenario B