Have ranges be proportional to map size
Shower thought, but what if ranges of area effects didn’t have flat constant values but instead their range was determined by the map in play? So for example, instead of a range of “32 meters”, make the range “32% of the width of the largest floor on the map”. So if a map is an outdoor one level map with width of 100 meters that effect has 32m range, whereas if you played on Gideon which has two floors each with about 68 meter width the range would only be about 23 meters.
Making ranges proportional to map size would help make all abilities and perks and such cover consistently proportional areas of the playing fields. This would address issues where area of effects cover much larger portions of maps like Gideon, both for things like Boons and terror radiuses and other perks that have ranges (e.g. Make Your Choice, BBQ and Chili, etc).
- Upsides would be more consistent areas covered by area effects, which could level the playing field between maps when it comes to these perks and such
- Downside could be it might be a big development ask for the benefit it gives. Devs would probably have to examine many individual aspects of the game to see which ones if any need to remain constant ranges. And even if they wanted to apply it across the board, it would still probably require changes to which parameters are passed for range calculations for every effect. Probably too big an ask.
I doubt this would get implemented but it’s interesting to think about.
Comments
Yeah let's make m1 suffer even more
Sorry I don’t follow, how does it hurt basic attack killers?
Well m1 is the only thing without a "range" unless you actually want to increase lunge range which would be broken considering jungle gyms are a game-wide standard more or less
Sorry, I still don’t understand why you think making area effect ranges proportional to map size hurts M1. What does area effect range have to do with basic attacks?
It makes m2 attacks which usually have ranges far stronger, while doing next to nothing for m1, thus creating an even bigger performance gap between m1 and m2. The only thing m1 would get is I assume a bigger TR which makes them even weaker
I’m very confused. How does changing area effect ranges make M2 attacks far stronger? And where did I say terror radius would “be bigger”?
If you're talking about ranges then that applies to everything in the game with a range...
I specifically said “ranges of area effects”. Not everything is an area effect.
I like the idea as long as abilities and TR remain the same as now.
Well that's not a proper term at all, technically all "ranges" are area effects. And like I just said, this just gives m1 an insurmountable terror radius
Not all effects with ranges are area effects centered around a point which is what I mean when I say "area effects" (i.e. something that affects an entire area within range of a point.) Basic attacks are not area effect, they have a range but don't hit all points around the killer. Deathslinger's shots have a range but are not an area effect. Huntress's hatchets likewise have a range but aren't area effects.