Tar Bottle Needs A Rework
I've said this before in a few posts, but I think there's value and merit in making it a post of its own for more ease of access to whoever may want to see it.
The Trapper's Tar Bottle addon was once one of his strongest, even in the days when you were required to bring a Bag addon just to stand a fighting chance, the Tar Bottle was among the strongest that you could bring alongside it. However, I think that prime is past it, and I don't know that the addon gives any kind of consistent value any more, for one simple reason: not every map is dark, and darkened traps are actually worse for you on some maps. Take Coldwind or the Eyrie of Crows; those maps have quite bright floors, and a darkened trap stands a real chance of being more discernible than a non-darkened one.
I think this opens up more of a possibility for old Evan, rather than needing to be another brick in the wall of his downfall. My proposal is quite simple: rework the Tar Bottle to provide map-dependant camouflage, not just darkening.
I'm not sure exactly what to reskin the addon as, since Tar Bottle doesn't quite fit any more for this change- my gut tells me Obfuscation Kit or Camouflage Manual, but whatever works, that part's a little less important than the effect. What this addon would do is change the traps to be a little more coloured akin to what map you load in on; Coldwind and Eyrie of Crows would have a sandier sort of aesthetic, Ormond would ice them over, but most other maps would remain simply darkening them.
Whether there should be hyper-specific changes like Azarov's mimicking that green tint is up for debate, but I think that going as broad as possible is the right call- not only will this help Trapper now, but with a little extra work, it'll safeguard him against future maps that continue going for different, brighter colour schemes than simply being dark and shrouded in shadow.
It's very heartening to see Trapper getting a little more attention, and I think that it's pretty straightforward to help him with map reworks and new designs that feature less grass and more bright areas; those things are themselves obviously good for the game at large, so let's give Trapper a hand to adjust to it!
Comments