Today I just had the sweetest moment of human interaction crossing the big divide
Hello everyone,
I just want to talk about a really sweet game I had today. I love playing killer, since I got the game, about a month ago. But once I broke into purple ranks, nearly every game has become a constant fight to the death, where everyone fights tooth and nails for every little advantage, and it has been draining me.
After a whole bunch of really bad and draining games I had one that started just like so many others: one "bold" surivor would approach me, flashlight click and tbag me in order to provoke me into a pointless chase.
I would veer to the gen somewhat behind that surv and startle the group of gen-rushers there and even managed to down and hook one, not that bodyblocking and flashing from the designated looper nearly prevented that. I chased after the looper, came back empty handed and after about half a minute found another gen that was worked at. I chased after the survivors there and quickly noticed that the one I was chasing was the survivor that got just unhooked, so I broke chase, as not to tunnel her and tried to catch the other one.
Later the spared survivor approached me and pointed at me, and sorta thanked me? We nodded at each other and then went our seperate ways. I somehow managed to sacrifice one survivor, but the gens were just flying by and soon the exit gates opened, where the traditional killer humiliation took place, till I chased them through the door...
All save the survivor from earlier. She waved at me, then walked over to a hook and pointed vigoriously at it. And I was so touched, its hard to put into words. Altruism is often a one-way road, when you, as a killer, utterly smash a team, you might feel bad for them, especially when they give up and dont move, but the other way around I had only once before experienced some sympathy from the other side. And this survivor demanded that I hook her. I kinda felt bad, but after the match we had a very nice end game chat about this and even friendlisted each other.
I know its just a small moment, but it really made my day. Later I gave it back and spared two survivors, after sacrificing two of their friends and they gave up. I know that this game pits one group against another, but all too often the human element gets lost on the way. Just keep in mind that on the other side of the screen is another human who just wants to have some fun. You dont need to throw every game, but maybe have a little empathy every now and then, when you are super dominating.
Comments
I had a Survivor protect me from apparently getting called a "Camper" "Tunneller" for not allowing them to do dumb saves and actually punished them for it. He called out his teammates for it. It was a really wholesome moment, I took a screenshot but I lost it when I did a fresh reinstall of my OS. Wish I saved it on my steam screenshots though.
With that said it's very, very rare you get stuff like these. I usually try to give everyone fair chase but if I'm getting zero respect from the start. I start playing my way where its optimal and puts a lot of pressure on the survivors.
I've had moments like this.
One of my favorites was running into a 3-man SWF group from another country without knowing it. I was playing Cenobite and they clearly had never faced one before. They really struggled, and after I had 2 hooks on everyone and 1 dead (not the SWF guy), I let them farm and ended up giving them gate.
Postgame, they started talking in Japanese about how imbalanced the game was - and I responded to them with 'well played, but you can't just run in straight lines against Cenobite and you need to find the box when chains start spawning'. In Japanese.
We ended up going back and forth and it turns out one of the guys was from a small fishing town where I'd lived for 5 years previously. Pretty incredible.