Your Thoughts On The Halloween Event.
So hello again guy's and this time I am back with yet another forum post, and this is about your thoughts on the new Halloween event.
Now my thoughts was overall better than I expected, I really like that it had an unique tome to it that could unlock you cosmetics and a charm for free, so obviously this makes it better then the event/thing that was last year as a Halloween event. Now My thoughts on the pumpkins is not much, but I do like the 50/50/50 mechanic where you might stay the same, move slower, or move faster, which I find kind of cool. I just hope that they bring the cosmetics back at a later date, because I'm not a fan of exclusive's and feel like they should be available to everyone.
And also too is that I hope that both the survivor and killer blighted serums could be accessible through custom lobby's, now I think the survivor's blight serum might be in custom lobby, but I'm not sure about the killer's, but I hope the killer's one could be though.
So overall I thought it was decent, definitely not the best Halloween event, or maybe, idk , but I'm glad it wasn't Hallowed Blight.
So ya with all of that out of the way let's begin the poll.
Comments
I've enjoyed this event so far, kicking pumpkins has been fun lol.
I love getting free cosmetics for Mikela and Doctor by just doing some quests.
Putting all the bugs aside, the event is ok. The pumpkins are fun and the free cosmetics are cool.
In my opinion, the best Halloween event so far... but there's always room for improvement.
First 2 blighted halloween events were way better imo since you could earn 2 free cosmetic sets, but could also CHOOSE which sets you wanted. Here, you're locked into Doctor and Mikaela (Please buy our new character. Signed, BHVR)
It's... OK. Not good enough to make up for zero other half decent events throughout the entire year though
Is it a bad event? No, in any sense of the word it is not necessarily "bad".
But is it good? No. Not in the sense that this event significantly contributed to Dead by Daylight's history of events, in a way that was remarkable. This event is not remarkable, by any means.
The Midnight Grove is exactly what it was supposed to be. A do reskinned hooks / generators event, filled with a few cosmetics (that didn't have a connecting theme beyond just general "halloween" stuff I guess).
And that to me is what is disgusting.
It seems to me that people have forgotten what good events were actually like- it used to be in a former time of DBD history, that doing reskinned generators / hooks was the most basic common form of event. Reserved for the most lackluster events that didn't have a particularly strong or thrilling connection to real reasons or causes for celebration- like the Summer BBQ events, and the anniversary events.
The real events of Dead by Daylight, usually came around the Holidays, and when they released they did something unique.
In 2017
In 2018,
In 2019,
2017-2019 were probably the brightest years of DBD's life in terms of events, because since then the devs have mired in mediocrity. Making very little effort to create the plans for new innovations and relying on tired, played out event ideas. In 2020: The Scarlet Swarm Lunar new year event was a do reskinned generators / hooks event, The Eternal Blight was a do reskinned generators / hooks event (there was no proper Christmas event, instead an advent calendar rewarding players for logging in on a daily basis). In 2021: The Gilded Stampede Lunar New Year event was the same, the fifth year anniversary was the same, and now the Halloween Midnight grove event is also the victim of this plague of repeated nonsense.
Halloween, the most IMPORTANT time of the year for Dead by Daylight- is not worth anything more than a few glowing candles on some generators, and a separate two pages of the archives to grind through. I guess we have the pumpkins- but that's not even particularly new, considering they already introduced that idea with their mini Gnome Chompski event where you had to run around at the end of the match to find, kick, and destroy the gnomes.
You'd think at least one dev on the team would maybe even just possibly wonder if they were over-saturating this idea of "doing reskinned generators."
Frankly, I'm sick of doing generators that look slightly different. It was a fun, simple, and novel idea when they came up with it four years ago for the first Chinese new year event in 2017, but it's absolutely been milked to oblivion by now. Events are the perfect opportunity for Dead by Daylight to stretch its legs out of the normality of the established traditional gameplay cycle, and try something new for just a few short days / weeks.
And contrary to popular belief amongst the dev team- throwing free rewards at the community does NOT make an event an event. Shouting at the top of your lungs "free Bloodpoints!! We got free bloodpoints here!!" does NOT make an event.
Is it bad? No. But it sure is a hell of a lot more mediocre than it could have been, and that sense of dissatisfaction- that they could have done something more, is what really bugs me.
What I find really disturbing though,
Is that it seems to me that if the devs keep this up long enough, the community will forget the times when the devs actually tried. The times when the devs actually worked to innovate, and create new and unique mechanics which actually changed up the pace of the game for a limited time. Lobby decorations and designs that didn't just kind of fade into the scenery as part of the background. Music that wasn't soft and unnoticeable, but emphatic, energetic, and festive.
To the point where you've got seven people saying this was a good or great event, and one person saying this was the best halloween event of all time.
Sorry. It's been spoilt by infinite loading, studder spikes and various other bugs.
A let-down 😔
This halloween event has a good point, but that are only the free cosmetics and the pumpkins giving good vibes for spooky season. But the challenges for killers are a problem for baby killers and survivor mains, especially since the new mmr system. These challenges force the baby killers to camp and tunnel, because they don’t have good perks or skill to play against the survivors they get. With the old ranking system I got 1 to 4 kills most of the time, but with mmr I didn’t get a single kill when I played my killer main. (I played like 30 killer rounds since I started dbd, so I shouldn’t get survivors that are spinning me everytime and are on the same level as me as survivor)
One of the challenges is to kill 4 survivors and that’s only achievable for someone like me, who sucks at playing killer, when tunneling and camping. So you often get camping bubba, hag and trapper. An event shouldn’t be so sweaty and frustrating.