Why do new killers think "tunneling" is a good idea?

I haven't been living under a rock or anything, I'm fully aware of how toxic tunneling is and it almost never ends well. Tunnel that Meg and bam four whole gens just popped one after the other.

But why do the killer themselves think this is a good idea? What do they think they're going to gain from this, seeing how unproductive it is?

Comments

  • "New Killers"? You sure you don't live under a rock? Nor is there anything toxic about tunneling unless you're constantly BMing the player when you down/hook them.

  • @Raiden1 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/288425/why-do-new-killers-think-tunneling-is-a-good-idea

    Tunneling is not a bad idea at all, in fact it is quite literally the strongest possible strategy that the killer can implement, however there are very strong perks that counter this playstyle. When you hook a survivor at the beginning, it's a good idea to pressure gens near the hook and once the survivor gets unhooked you go for them again. If a teammate is getting tunneled or dead on hook survivors are much more likely to try to do stuff like take hits for them or go down to save them, etc. Tunneling actually makes teams more altruistic which slows down gen repairs while also giving you the ability to get one survivor out early, and going against 3 survivors versus 4 is a big deal. If you can get one survivor out before the 4th gen pops (which is super easy) then you basically just win the game, securing at least a 3k. I do a less intense version of this strat, because whenever tunneling is used (even though it's not a toxic playstyle, it's a tactical one) survivors tend to cry and insult the killer for doing something smart. What I do is I alternate hooking 2 or 3 survivors, while ignoring two or one of them, because if you try to get all 4 survivors on death hook before killing anybody then you are most likely going to lose.

    Just an FYI, facecamping / tunneling are regularly used in DbD tournaments, where if the literal best killers in the world do not facecamp / tunnel they instantly lose. It's just how the game is.

    I don't think tunneling is the best strat I think camping has it beaten out, definitely a good strategy though either way


    This post is in no way a criticism of the dbd devs and should not be taken as such. It is also not intended to point out any forum rules being violated both of which are understood to be against forum rules.

1 2 ›