SBMM is better than Rank System

So first of all, both have issues.

SBMM promotes selfish plays and Rank system forced babysitting.

In SBMM you can do 4 gens, loop killer of 5 minutes and then die saving friend, so you lose MMR, that sucks, but it's not that big deal for me.

Rank system, if you were against way worse killer / survivors, if you just stomp them, then you lost rank for it, so you are forced to babysitting and farming for better rank.

I just think that babysitting is way worse.


How MMR works for killers is good system to be honest by design, there is problem that it needs correct MMR for survivors to work. I think MMR in team-game should not be 100% individual, results as a team should have big effect whatever you gain or lose MMR imo. That is main problem I see with that.


Real experience is different than if system is good tho. High MMR is just sweaty, sometimes stressful for killer, less variety in killers and perks, using more unbalanced map offerings etc..

But I think that is issue of game balance, not SBMM. SBMM just helps to highlight it and we will see, if there will be any changes for it.

I think it can be fixed with buffing weak killers / perks for more variety and some buffs to help soloQ.

As I said in my post before, I have also issue with lack of motivation. If you play well, you get rewarded only by harder games, so unless you are masochist there is not really reason to do it. There is problem that after some treshhold, you just can't play without slow-downs, but if you start using them, you will get to the point, where you can no longer play with fun builds, because you will get destroyed.

I would show survivor and each killer MMR to improve motivation a little, only as personal info -> grades would stay. I wish grades would be harder with better rewards, but it is what it is. You could track your progress with visible MMR and set up personal goals you want to achieve. That's how it works in Dota -> no reset, no rewards, just your rank / MMR and prestige that comes with high MMR.

I would really wanna try to play some killer without any slow-down and see how far in MMR I could get with it...

Comments

  • SBMM doesn't "promote" anything, because gaining MMR isn't an objectively positive outcome, while 'gaining a pip' is.

    MMR isn't a reward.

    You will never know 'how far' your MMR will get. It's useless to try and track or game the system.

    Motivation is the same as it has always been. Gain pips to rank/grade up. That uses the same emblem system we've always had.

    At least it should be if people would stop worrying about MMR.

  • @Seraphor said:

    SBMM doesn't "promote" anything, because gaining MMR isn't an objectively positive outcome, while 'gaining a pip' is.

    MMR isn't a reward.

    You will never know 'how far' your MMR will get. It's useless to try and track or game the system.

    Motivation is the same as it has always been. Gain pips to rank/grade up. That uses the same emblem system we've always had.

    At least it should be if people would stop worrying about MMR.

    I got max grade in 3 days, have all achievemnt and all challenges. So to change that, I don't think there is motivation for veteran players to stay in high MMR. I have one killer in high MMR (survivor's playtime 3k avarage), when I wanna hard game, but I am not gonna let my other killers reach that level.

    Like what should I do? Play for harder games, nah, too much stress. I just let survivors leave after I get them on dead hook. I tried to get as high as possible, but then I reliazed how much pain would be to grind max Grade again next month in high MMR, so I gave up on trying, because there is not reason for me to do it. Before I could worry about losing rank, but that is not a thing anymore.

    I have seen lot of killers do this and because of that, their data on killers just isn't correct, if they want better data, they need to motivate players to actually try to reach high MMR.

    It does promote it, you might not see MMR now, but you know how the system works and some people might care about it for whatever reason, so instead of trying to save and go on suicide mission against face-camping bubba / trickster etc., they will just leave.

    I don't know about you, but I have seen that a lot lately and some of those saves would be easily possible imo.