What's wrong with DbD
So I guess i am mostly known as a BHVR whiteknight and having an optimistic view on the game. That's why I thought I should make a list with stuff I think BHVR/DbD does (currently) wrong or needs to put more effort into (also I am way too bored and I currently dont have new Item ideas I can suggest..). These are my personal views and I will focus on stuff I dont like, most of it I have mentioned in several threads already. In general I have fun playing the game so if it seems like I am only complaining and crying here, I dont really mean it that way.
If you think some obvious stuff is missing feel free to comment it and I either add it or explain why from my point of view its not as problematic :)
Performance/Optimization
Cant talk much about it as I am not as affected (though I do have a Switch, but performance is so bad, i wont try anymore). It's one of the biggest issues right now on consoles and has been for a long time. We have that Mega Thread on the forums.
They did focus on it, but only after making it far worse with Chapter 20 and I hope they didnt stop after barely resolving only what they have worsened in that update.
Balance (General Gameplay)
High skill and seemingly vast majority of games Survs are/feel 'OP', gens fly by, killer gameplay feels frustrating even if you can secure kills as the survs actually know they can taunt the killer without much risk.
Low skill/survs on beginner level killers are dominating hard, Camping, Tunneling and Slugging are way too effective (while using these strats solely from the beginning without actual skill pretty much is a gameover for killers in matches with somewhat experienced survs).
SWF vs Solo (especially stuff like facecampers, coordinated hook rescues, who is in chase) - Ping system would be nice, chase indicator like the obsession already has, Small Game totem counter and maybe Kindred base?
Big difference between killers (mostly high mobility vs. slow killers); I guess it would be best to bring killers on a more even level and then adjust general gameplay accordingly (though Nurse might always be the exception here). Great start with Spirit actually in the upcoming Midchapter.
Maps, most prominently the ones that still need their update (Haddonfield, Swamp, Red Forest) but also others (Cowshed, Meatplant) are pretty damn survivor sided. Generally I am a fan of the reworks though. But still need (balance) improvements.
Balance (Perks)
So called Second Chance perks on survs can feel devastating for killers when used right, have no downsides and can reward 'toxic' playstyles.
Info perks on high mobility killers are way stronger, those killers already have it way easier (BBQ, Tinkerer).
Items, primarily keys, maybe BNP (though might be less problematic if general gameflow changes), Syringe, styptic. Though I think hatchopening keys are the really big bads here and they already confirmed to rework them.
Generally perks need more adjustments in the updates, even just smaller number changes etc. Recent perk changes seem like a good direction though we need more. MORE.
Bugs
Seemingly getting more and more and worse and worse.
More ressources(time and people) for QA needed, the game is becoming more and more complex and they need to invest in QA; hopefully they are not only fixing existing bugs but also rework the code to make the famous 'spaghetti code' issue better
I will list the ones I think are among the most prominent, but of course there are many more (obvious ones i missed? might add them here)
- Permanent
- Nurse Bugs, multiple
- Silent Slugs and other sound-bugs
- Ghostface reveal mechanic (though might be more latency issue)
- Recurring
- Totemspots/Genspots/Palletspots not usable
- "Fatshaming" spots, survs can walk through, killers cant
- New
- Every Update seems to introduce new bugs, some cosmetic, some annoying, some gamebreaking ones; seems to get worse (or just more talked about?); some of the cosmetic or annoying ones can be fun though :)
Hacker/Cheater
EAC seemingly not enough.
Reporting is pretty tedious and doesnt seem worth it (known Twitchers with multiple new accounts not stoppable); a direct autoban feature is obviously not the solution.
Accessibility Options
Great start this year (Colorblind, Skillchecks on Struggle)!
Missing:
- Epilepsy (lights, audio trigger, clickyclicky, Doctor)
- Wiggling (Skillcheck based, possibly as toggle)
- Hard of hearing (see Mobile: visible heartbeat and others)
- Controller settings (console players but also on PC for accessibilty reasons, especially killer gameplay is significantly worse)
- Sensitivity, probably even separate for normal gameplay vs. charging/aiming as killer
- Reactioncurve (there is not really much use to be able to tippletap and I feel like this is a big issue to dodge hits as surv and to connect hits as killer; I experienced a bit in the Steam settings with different reactioncurves and got some improvement)
- Deadzones
- Maybe modes for certain phobias (Coulrophobia, Emetophobia etc)
Matchmaking
I think that SBMM is WAY better than emblem based matchmaking and currently the biggest issue here is the balance problematic, which maybe more prominent due to a more consistent matchmaking (especially on high skill).
Bots
See Mobile solution, should be added at least for KYF lobbies, possibly for DCs. They have already put work into AI and bots (Nemesis Zombies, Tutorial, Mobile version) so it should very well be possible.
Survivor Gameplay
Survivor gameplay is dull and lacking. Killers have enough stuff to do and keep their attention to (breakable walls already feel like a bad addition as its just something that the killers can and have to waste precious time on).
Survivor gameplay mostly consists of holding M1 in one spot without much variation (Gens, Healing, Totems, Gates, Chests). Thats why its a bad idea to just increase gentimes to tackle the balance issues. Something more interactive to enrich surv gameplay is needed...
The Grind
Not much to say from my side actually, I enjoy it because I like to experience with different perks,builds and if i had easier and faster access to all perks on all chars I might have missed some great uses/matches. But especially for beginners the grind is too much. But they already stated they are planning to address it recently...
Atmosphere
Last but not least (well actually compared to the other stuff it might be least) I think the atmosphere of the game lost something that made it so unique and mysterious. I do not think that its the colored hues like the blue on MacMillan that they got kinda rid of with the Realm Beyond update. Actually I kinda like the new versions better.
I am mainly talking about the fog. It used to be pretty thick and obstruct the view. Currently it actually feels like you can see from one side of the map to the other as long as there are no objects in between. The current fog looks like some dust and not what it is descibed as in many of the lore entries, where it is actually pretty prominent.
You made it to the end (and totally didnt skip)?
Have some Duckies in a sink

Comments