#NoGensPerk Explained
#NoGensPerk (called originally #Killer) is a brand new vindication initiative promoted by some spanish Dbd Streamers/Youtubers such as "Otakufansite", "AnarcoCapitalista12" or "Liyons", which was born after the release of Hellraiser's Chapter due to the unbalancements that the new Skill Based Match Making (SBMM) brought to the killer side.
As a base, this movement aims for exposing how easy and abusive are gen-repairing mechanics on highest "Elo" classification, and how frustrating it is to play killer under these conditions. Looking for exposing the application of a competitive match making system on a game which is far away to be fair; being killers paired against teams which can be perfectly synchronized and rarely commit mistakes in game, and make killer experience mathematically impossible and unfun.
With this in mind, #NoGenPerks promotes the absolute dispensability of gen scouting by removing all anti-genrush perks from your build; returning to the original and most literal killer functions, which are chasing, killing and having fun with the powers and habilities of each character; with 0 importance on how fast gens fly, and how many survivors escape. This concept has 2 main applications:
PRACTICAL APPLICATION: The Forgotten Pleasure of Being Killer
Most of the times, killer players needed to fill at least 2/4 or even 3/4 of their build to get a bit of help on slowing down genrush; without any real guarantee it's gonna be actually effective. Forgetting about gens allows you the freedom of having a full build exclusively made for experimenting and enjoyment. Because wasting your entire build on slowing down an actually unstoppable mechanic, turned killers into sentinels unable to enjoy of their role and get the maximun potential of their powers.
This way, survivors will most likely escape, as that's what the game design aims for nowaday; but killers will forget the frustration and will finally have the psychological satisfaction we all look for in a videogame.
THEORICAL APPLICATION: A Message to Devs
At the same time, #NoGenPerks is meant to be a message to the game developers, who would see a noticeable impact on stadistics after the implementation of SBMM, showing a massive increase on survivior "escapes" and an unnatural decrease on killer "sacrifices/kills". And probably being forced to plan a change of mechanics, as well as a buff to Killers gameplay (or nerf to Survivors gameplay).
Video explanation (In Spanish) by Otakufansite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRNsuCL8iUE
To conclude... What do you think about this philosophy? Do you think it's necessary this vindication? Do you think it'd ever succeed on its objectives? Let me know :) I'd love to read your thoughts. Peace!
Comments
I find the idea that this concept of 'Hey, maybe you don't have to run slowdown perks, you should just run what you want and have fun :)' being somehow new or revolutionary for Killers is kinda funny lol. Others in the thread has already pointed it out, but nothing is forcing you to run gen regression perks, nor is nothing stopping you from saying your win condition is to stare at a single rock in Autohaven for 5 minutes.
Idk, maybe it's just because I'm a weirdo who loves random perk builds and who's favorite Killer perks consist of BBQ, Retribution, Discordance, Dragon's Grip, and Haunted Grounds- but I've not focused too heavily on gens for a hot minute. For me, it's all about the BBQ stacks and getting Archive challenges done lol.
(Jokes aside, I don't believe this will change anything balance-wise. Everyone's known for years that Gens are difficult for a Killer to maintain at a high level with or without gen regression perks at the top-tier. The De-Pip squads from the olden days and the more current, and now more well-known tournament scene has been showing that for years. If we were going to see major changes that effected the top percent like that, we would have been seeing many, many more quality of life changes by now that helped boost Solo Survivor up to the level of SWF, and adjustments to Survivors and Killers as a whole. Maybe we will get it in the future, but with how long it's been with people asking for these updates, and that haven't appeared, I don't think it'll change anything balance-wise.)
Survivors also have to waste perk slots to cover for bad design. Survivors have to use Decisive Strike and Borrowed Time to prevent proxy-tunneling or face-camping. Also, as survivor, you are almost required to run an exhaustion perk so you can extend chases long enough for your teammates to do gens.
What do you consider a win rate? I assume you are not talking about 3 and 4 kills as being a win, because I've been keeping track of my matches and survivors are dying at a much higher rate with the new MMR system than previously. I'm getting an average of 1 escape every 3 kills, which is freaking insanely bad.
I was mainly talking about gen slowdown and speed up perks. I understand the need for others :)
Well it seems sbmm wants 2k, 2 escape. I am getting 0k or 1k in most my matches as all the survivors seem to loop perfectly. 30% was being extremely generous.
Yes it is. Before SMBB, rank 1 was an achievement (it was a ladder), so you would use the best perks to get there. Now that it's grind based, you can use any perk you want because you will get a 50% winrate anyway. You cannot derank so there is no point to go with ruin / undying / deadlock ect...
The only downside is for survivors at high mmr who will get longer queue or weaker killers.
Survivors have to do the same thing. Ds BT and UB are all used to stop annoying gameplay mechanics
I was talking about gen speeds only, survivors do not really need perks to increase gen speeds.
If the games didn't end so quickly, gens were not popping all over the place and a lot of people were experiencing 4 escapes tunnelling a camping would decrease. It will never go away completely as that's how some people play.
I have noticed that If I try to play fair, I get the 4 man escapes. If I try to get it down to 3 people, I have a chance to get a 2k or more. For example, I seemed to have a baby Dwight in a game yesterday and after I hooked him once, for the bbq stacks, I was going to let him escape. Since I did not tunnel him out, with him being the weak link, I ended up with a 1k. I had to eventually kill the guy I wanted to live.
Back to topic, gen speed perks only I was speaking about.
Funny I partook in this without knowing...
My builds only run perks that I subjectivly deem fitting for a Killer. And there is no way for me that Myers or Ghostface would use a Hex: Ruin or something like that. Also somebody like Bubba would never have the capacity to apply a Hex to somebody...
Sure I run regression where it is fitting: Pop goes the Weasle goes on Bubba and Billy. Both are decently strong and can kick a gen so much that they do further damage. Ghostlike entities can also use Surge as they disrupt the electric flow and so on. As such I have 1 regression perk at most on my builds and leave the rest for fun.
Pinhead is my most beloved Killer in that regard so far. I just use his 3 personal perks and then add "Hex: Thrill of the Hunt" for information and to torture people with "Hex: Plaything". Sure Pinhead would be better with Ruin, Safe the Best, Pop or something like that...but I have too much fun with those new Perks.
Do what you like as long as you have fun with it.
I play Myers with Monitor, Safe the Best, Enduring and Infectious Fright and enjoy it. You should enjoy your build too.