Concern Regarding Server Performance and Penalties Given for Disconnecting

Hello,

In my most recent game of DbD, I noticed that all of the survivors seemed to be lagging quite severely, and after some time spent in the game I was disconnected and sent back to the main menu.

My internet was completely fine at this stage, games of DbD that I had completed prior to this one had been fine and other online activities that had been running on my PC at the time were all occurring without issue. I also ran a speedtest on my internet following the match I was disconnected from, and everything seemed to be okay there, as well. (Note: The other online activities I was running wouldn't have interfered or slowed down my internet)

This isn't the first time I have experienced issues identical to the one described above, and as much as I understand it isn't very helpful to say "You need to fix your servers", if issues regarding their performance are never reported, I guess you guys will never know that they're not performing well. (I'm connecting from Sydney, Australia. In case that helps)

What really frustrates me however, is what happened after I was disconnected... I lost rank progress and I was banned from participating in matchmaking for 5mins. It's no big deal, but it's a tad irritating that I was punished for an issue that is beyond my control? To make matters worse, I'm never the type to disconnect. Ever (Unless issues like this occur). I could possibly count on one hand the number of times I've disconnected intentionally in total, over the course of hundreds and hundreds of matches. It seemed a tad unbelievable that I was being treated like the people who routinely ragequit when something doesn't go their way.

Comments

  • Well, no program or code can tell the difference between losing connection by accident, or losing it by force-closing, or turning off router, or unplugging wi-fi, etc.

    To the game; it's all just 'connection gone'. Not much can be done about that. There's nothing, as of right now, that can detect the intent behind a lost connection.

  • Clicking the 'Disconnect' button and losing connecting with DbD's servers is definitely something they would be able to distinguish between, however. Perhaps the two could be treated differently? With a disconnection from DbD's servers contributing less towards a punishment or penalty unless it becomes habitual.