Remove Ranks

There's something that I've noticed while playing this game that I've come to the realization to, and while none of you may want to admit it or realize it, I'll just say it outright.

The Ranking system is what makes this game progressively feel worse over time.

Think about it for a second; ranks make it so that you need to run meta perks instead of anything you desire at higher levels, ranks can be used against and ridicule a player, higher ranks means people will play more competitively, which immediately sucks the fun out of any game, and ranks serve little to no functional purpose (even if or when they get rank rewards, it still serves no purpose).

When was the last time you've had a genuinely, truly fun game where you didn't feel utterly frustrated at yourself or the others around you?

When was the last time you could just experiment without being forced to by yourself or others?

When was the last time you felt the game was fair to you?

I'll speak for myself in the following, but here's my personal answer; I had the most fun in this game back at ranks 12-15, back when I was still about 40 hours into the game, give or take. I was enjoying Pyramid Head, getting snipes and double hits, enjoying trading blows against pallets, and no one really made it a priority to complete generators or prolong the game, or hold it complete hostage at times.

Now? Now I get matches where I have to work my ass off trying to get a victory, and even if I do get that victory, it no longer feels satisfactory or that I earned it; quite the opposite, I feel like I got robbed of my time and effort in spite of getting that Merciless Killer victory.

I personally don't want to de-pip, but I legitimately cannot stand high ranks anymore. It feels disgusting, it plays disgusting, and I, myself, want out of the ranking system in general.

This is why I believe Ranks need to be removed. This is what I believe would be the biggest problem solved if it happened. Ranks serve no purpose other than to increasingly make the game more frustrating over time.

It's time to get rid of it.

(Or actually just give us Quick Play, because that's also a good option that would kind of make this game more fun for its majority player base. As much crap as I give Overwatch on a daily outside of here, it at least had Quick Play and was fun.)

Comments