Please Remove Chat Censor And Default Chat To Closed
I understand why the chat filter was added, I really do, but the censor itself is heavily bugged and isn't helping.
It censors out common in game phrases such as "downed" and "kills" and "(number)k" and "Mori".
It censors out character names, like "Meg" and "Clown" and "David".
It censors out random phrases for seemingly no reason, making it extra hard to talk with people when "I couldn't loop the Killer to literally save my life" comes out as "I ######## #### ### ###### to literally save my life" or "Thank you for not killing me at shack" as "Thank you for ### ####### ## ## shack" or "I only want to get 4ks my way, not the "easy way"." as "I only want to get ### ## ## ### not the "easy way"." or "I tried to kill myself on hook fast enough for you to get hatch but the second check was too slow." as "I ##### ## #### ###### ## hook fast enough for ### ## ### ##### ### the second check was too slow." which are all things that happened in my games tonight. I kind of understand why some of it got filtered but most of it just makes me scratch my head.
Please remove the censor and just default chat to closed instead of open. If you opt-in to chat then you know you're opting-in to maybe seeing some upsetting dialogue. I know people say very toxic things in after game chat, I saw it before the censor went up and even with the censor people can still spew some vitriol if they're creative enough. But as it is right now the censor it doing more harm than good by actively getting in the way of legit civil discussions about the game just played.
We already have a limited time to talk before the server closes cutting us off, I'd rather not have to worry about my counter point to the discussion being replaced with pound symbols and me having to try it one word at a time to see if that gets though or work out another phrasing.
Comments
Beyond slurs, there's no genuine reason for there to be language filters in chat or on this forum imo. It's a game centered around murder and the ESRB label for the game includes strong language. Maybe I'm not getting something, idk.
I agree, the chat censoring is busted and totally hindering. It's not useful at all. It's a game about violence and murder, why is there censoring?? Also, people often need to vent after a game, censoring blocks that and further enrages players, imo.
BHVR kind of disappointed me on this Subject. There are many problems.
Here is how I would solve this.
ULTRA SUGGESTIONS FOR 500 Blood points more are:
EDIT: If you wonder about the lack of permanent banning offenders, its because I believe people can change given the right environment.
I've said this before, but I've had consistent issues with weird things like character names being censored. Before the RE chapter launched, we were talking in lobby about who we thought killer would be and I was censored for saying I thought it might be Wesker. I got censored again for using the name Sunderland when talking to someone about Silent Hill.
I don't know why these specific terms would be censored, or what purpose it would ever serve.