Loss of Trust

It is extremely disappointing to see premium cosmetics (Auric Cells Only) offered for free in the Rift.

As a paying customer, I feel betrayed and undervalued.

The premium sticker tag tells me that only real-world money can buy this item, and no amount of time invested in the game will help me unlock my purchase. It is a signifier that this item is one-of-a-kind (even if it exists in a virtual mass market), and therefore holds intrinsic value as a product which I can possess.

I do not support this kind of dubious practice. I will not be paying for future content.

---

To those who may be drinking the Kool-Aid, cosmetic retexturing/recoloring is a very simple task. Depending on the complexity of the model, a single artist could create 3 to 10 different texture variants of a single model in one day.

Cosmetics with color & texture variants have grown in popularity as in-game purchases because they are incredibly low-cost to make while creating wider appeal for a cosmetic line.

---

Most companies recognize that when customers purchase a cosmetic at a premium they are paying for the exclusivity of an item. Part of a product's value is derived from the amount of versions available.

The more options available, the lower the value of the product.

This is a concept I'm sure many of you are familiar with, as taglines like "One-of-a-Kind" or "Only X number of copies have been made" are popular selling points for lucrative items.


BHVR has said "to hell with exclusivity" and undermined the value of all their products with the decision to include premium products for free.

Comments

  • people pay money for the rift as well......so 🤷🏻‍♂️

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2394803#Comment_2394803

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpuEDsPvEBA

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2394116#Comment_2394116

    More power to you.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2394103#Comment_2394103

    I provide you with a definition of the word "exclusive," and you resort to belittling me. How mature.

    I'd offer you a rebuttle, but its clear you've no intention of even trying to understand the point I'm making.

    I simply provided you with several examples of why you're definition is not a world standard. And sorry when I come across belittling but that happens when I feel that someone comes across high and mighty and thinking that their point of view is the only truth.

    And again you can define a term all you want. When the distributor or provider of goods didn't declare, specify or some other way made clear that something is exclusive for any reason, then it is simply not.

  • @Kirkylad said:

    people pay money for the rift as well......so 🤷🏻‍♂️

    The skin in question, again, is free.

  • @Milo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2395436#Comment_2395436

    Are they availible for shards actually?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2395507#Comment_2395507

    While yes, it has happenned, those cosmetics are usually recolors of stuff you can get also for shards*

    This has been the first cosmetic that not only is auric cells only (except the weapon which was an event that is now given to all) but is not that... diffrent. The recolor just looks too close to the original.

    *Unless you remind me of one cosmetic on the free track that also only cost auric cells.

    some of them yes i dont know about everyone couse i only missed one rift

  • It will be a recolour so it won't be the same regardless, plus if you mean the billy skin then the weapon is completely different.

  • @Mistikus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2395523#Comment_2395523

    some of them yes i dont know about everyone couse i only missed one rift

    Same that's why I was asking ;-;

    The only thing that I'm missing is the Clown's and Feng's stuff but that was on the free track.

  • @Milo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2396460#Comment_2396460

    Same that's why I was asking ;-;

    The only thing that I'm missing is the Clown's and Feng's stuff but that was on the free track.

    zarina's greek skin was in premium track now it in shop for shard our auric you can pick how you want to pay, and my fired told me that most of skins for first rinf was with the same option

  • @ReikoMori said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2395615#Comment_2395615

    Let's break down what you posted.

    "The premium sticker tag tells me that only real-world money can buy this item, and no amount of time invested in the game will help me unlock my purchase. It is a signifier that this item is one-of-a-kind (even if it exists in a virtual mass market), and therefore holds intrinsic value as a product which I can possess."

    Here you are mentioning the value being tied to perceived notion that the skin was one-of-a-kind(unattainable w/o cost)

    "Most companies recognize that when customers purchase a cosmetic at a premium they are paying for the exclusivity of an item. Part of a product's value is derived from the amount of versions available.

    The more options available, the lower the value of the product.

    This is a concept I'm sure many of you are familiar with, as taglines like "One-of-a-Kind" or "Only X number of copies have been made" are popular selling points for lucrative items."

    From the same opening post we have you talking about paying for the exclusivity of the item and stating that more options lower the value. Even though, that was never promised to you from the get go and is pretty sus reason to buy things. Nobody likes losing money, but in order for there to be a loss you'd need to demonstrate that your item lost value. Which it did not.

    The price of item is still gonna be the same on store, so bare bones dollar value hasn't changed. The perceived exclusivity surround the item was just that perceived, never a true fact. While perception of an object's value is a definite working concept you can see in other games in this instance people are going to have an easy time paying the exact same price you paid to get the exact same item. We're not dealing with TF2 hats and CSGO skins here. You also have the option to just place the game get the variant and have both one isn't making the other go away.

    You might feel burned by this and you can feel however you want. Yet, the way you opened and continued to post comes off as elitist. As for my reason of posting, last i checked it's a free forum and I have a history of posting pretty much all over the place. The real question is what did you hope to accomplish with this thread. Multi-million playerbase and one person feeling a bit put off from throwing cash at the story isn't exactly gonna move the needle.

    I suppose I jumped the bullet with my OP, then.

    In my mind, it is pretty straight forward why one would be upset that a product they paid money for is now being handed out for free. Therefore, instead of hammering that point in my post, I focused on the additional reasons it was poor practice on BHVR's behalf. One of the earlier responders addressed their frustrations about paying for an item that is now free, and directed me to their own post taking such stance on the matter, so I additionally felt that side of the issue didn't need to be labored over any further.


    If I could speak for the masses, I would. But the reality is that I am only one person. That doesn't mean my voice deserves any less to be heard, and it doesn't mean I should give up hope that my voice could have any meaningful impact.

    I've posted about issues on this forum before, and have seen change as a result. In one particular instance, my post brought attention to an issue that was than immediately handled by the developers. So I have seen first hand the effect a single forum post can have.

    I'm certain I am not alone in feeling cheated by BHVR for this practice. But until I share my thoughts on the forum, it is impossible for anyone to know just how vital it is that BHVR seeks change.

  • I feel your anger, last 2 maybe 3 Rifts are just old recolored skins, you paid for these skins 1080 AC and now they're sitting in Rift but with different textures. There is no originality anymore and all last skins, maybe 20+ (some are really good) are Purple/Legendary rarity so you need to pay 1080+ AC more. BHVR just become greedy EA, "EA Horrors, take your money into our game". Mooooooore.

1 2 ›