Perks that condition playstyle just by existing

There are a lot of perks that have an effect on gameplay even if the killer/survivor don't use them like NOED or BBQ for killers and DH, BT, DS, deception... for survivors. I was wondering if devs consider those effects when they add new perks to the game, they are buffing the role in general even if it's just for a bit. Power struggle for example makes me paranoid of even going near pallets when carrying a survivor, or the existance of deception makes me doubt wethere he really went on a locker o he kept running, those are little things that consume valuable time.

I'm not saying that those perks shouldn't exist, I'm just wondering if devs understand the added complexity that they add to the game and the balance shift implications.

Comments

  • It's part of what makes things fun. Whether survivor or killer I personally have a lot of fun in figuring out the other sides build by deduction throughout the match.

    I'm sure they knew what they were doing when they made most of these. BBQ encourages killers to go for everyone. BT and DS discourage tunneling. Camaraderie combats camping. Idk some of these are healthy and intended to be used for certain things you might worry about.

    Stuff like DH and NOED need looking at and as usual, weaker or outright useless perks on both sides should be buffed up or reworked to be useful and fun. They have so much to work with here the possibilities are endless.

  • The game is drastically different based on what perks are in use, if you look at something like CoD the core gameplay loop is much the same regardless of perks, you don't really play around perks, you use perks which slightly improve your gameplay in some way and make things easier. I feel that's one of the reasons DBD struggles to be competitive, the perks make a huge difference, and the vast range of perks makes it difficult to play around them (unless it's the obvious one like Dead Hard/DS etc. in which case you always play around them)

    E.g. I had one match as Huntress and I would have got a 3K but someone made a clutch For the People Play and managed to insta-heal someone I had left downed near a gate, they both got away. Had I known they had FTP I would have not left the person, but because it's a rare perk, it seemed to be the best play to slug that person. So I felt like I lost due to the randomness of the perk.

  • I got sick of worrying if the killer could see my aura so I stopped going into lockers when someone gets downed, stopped getting closer to killer when someone is picked up, started healing in terror radius, kept doing gens together with other survivors, didn't care if killer could see me if I cleansed totems, didn't care if I go down the basement, etc.

    These perks are actually good for the game and BHVR should make more of them. It actually pissed me off when they nerfed some of them like how they nerfed Deception to not work with QQ.

  • @Shirokinukatsukami said:

    I got sick of worrying if the killer could see my aura so I stopped going into lockers when someone gets downed, stopped getting closer to killer when someone is picked up, started healing in terror radius, kept doing gens together with other survivors, didn't care if killer could see me if I cleansed totems, didn't care if I go down the basement, etc.

    These perks are actually good for the game and BHVR should make more of them. It actually pissed me off when they nerfed some of them like how they nerfed Deception to not work with QQ.

    Some of them are good for the game sure (e.g. BBQ, Borrowed Time), but I think it's a shame that the game variety rests so much in the perks, and also the danger here is that some of them are not good for the game, and new perks being released can make the game worse. Just wish we had more variety through more game modes, and the core gameplay was not so wildly dependent on perks.