Old Freddy or New Freddy?
So, I had a good talk with someone, you can most likely guess who that was and during the conversation I realized that... we're diverging away more unique fun powers. Now, this is sort of subjective, but hopefully you'll see what I mean.
Bear with me as I try to explain this thought. But, I truly think more of the unique fun powers are just being drowned out for "meta" purposes instead of just pure enjoyment. Nothing against all the other killers, but hear me out on this. They're either changing for "balance" reasons or just flat out removed and rebuilt.
Balance is in quotations because what the attempt is to keep up with the newer killer powers that have charges, multi powers, ranged, etc. When they actually don't need any ridiculous change at all.
So.. the prime example of these are Freddy and HillBilly.
HillBilly got changed so badly for the worse. I personally believe he was the only one who truly needed an addon change and THAT'S ALL.
Was he strong? Yeah, but because his addons were limited and boring. Let me explain, his most picked were Charge time, Speed, and turning. Those were truly best of the best. The rest truly didn't matter, less bump duration, quiet saw, and no insta down. Those were it. Do you see the issue? The variety is too limited. A simple addon rework is all that Billy truly needed. Most of the issues would be gone, and Billy himself would be untouched. Hell, maybe no Billy is truly the same, only exception would be his chainsaw. That would have been perfect. No rework has to be an overall. Which... let's talk about Freddy.
Freddy Kruger. I was so excited for his rework, because I was blinded by more of the competitiveness ideals that media content creators had for Freddy. "Put them to sleep and slap? That's boring and weak. We need more!"
Well, the wish was answered. But what truly happened is... distasteful.
We traded a fun concept that needed to be buffed and maybe an ADDON REWORK to spice things up to a generic killer. Genuinely a generic killer.
"Nothing feels generic about him"
Everything does. There's no risk for being asleep because it doesn't matter. You're awake and Freddy still could hit you. Alarm clocks are just a waste of time.
It feels weird saying this, but Freddy feels more like a boring m1 killer than he did in the past when he was just a literal "boring" m1 killer.
His main power was fun, it changed the game a fundamentally, yet giving you this constant terrifying feel that you're truly not alone. When Freddy picked someone up while you're asleep, you just saw a floating body and were "powerless" to stop it. (You still can flashlight save when you're awake, that would be stupid if you couldn't) You couldn't stop this invisible force because it's not invisible, it doesn't exist until you fell asleep. The only way for you to fall asleep was to be caught by him.
Now Freddy can just be detected all the time even when you're asleep, so that just feels stupid. He goes from this terrifying demon to an actual manlet you can engage with all the time. 24/7. Not when you're at your weakest, but just all the time.
Teleport, fake pallets, snares. More and more boring each time.
I don't think we should replace a genuinely fun concept because people said "lol, power suck."
I know there are some issues with certain perks and such, but I think just tweaking something is better than gutting it.
Comments
Old Freddy was fun and unique. He needed some buffs.
New Freddy is stronger Clown.
Answer is easy.
@GeneralV would know the answer.
And that I do, my friend.
The power that Freddy truly deserves, is the power that he had on-release. That was, in my honest opinion, a perfectly designed power: unique, fun and viable, with clear room for counterplay.
Should you desire to see it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHF7HYp5ZS8I hope you like HybridPanda, for this video is amazing.
Precisely.
I want more fun unique powers. They don't have to be top tier or meta countering. I just want fun diversity..