Tiny QoL change for Survivors when versing a Pig with Tampered Timer
This is not about the balance of Tampered Timer. Whether or not the add-on should be re-worked or anything is the subject of a different thread. I only wish to provide a tiny change to give Survivors (particularly solo) a minor heads-up.
Similar to how using a Tombstone add-on will make Myers's free hand open while in EW Tier 3 instead of balled up into a fist, using Tampered Timer should switch the side of the Jigsaw Box that Billy the puppet sits on (currently, he sits on the left side of the box). That way, Survivors can know in advance that they are up against the Tampered Timer by stumbling upon a Jigsaw Box (or by seeing the Box auras if the Pig puts an RBT on them first). This can help signal the team to possibly be careful with popping the gens and starting the timer before a trapped Survivor gets any opportunity to search a box.
Sits on left - No Tampered Timer
Sits on right - Yes Tampered Timer
Comments
But why though? you might as well show all the killers perks and load out in pregame lobby. solo q survivors don’t know how to beat pig tamper timer? Just don’t get trapped, 99 gens, and prioritize boxes if you happen to get down by a pig with tamper timer, you really shouldn’t be healing or cleansing bones if you got a active trap on your head.
1) "Don't lose a chase" is pointless advice. You may as well be saying "To win the game, don't lose."
2) I am aware of 99ing gens and the rest. The point of the change is to signal Survivors to be careful about popping a gen too soon after the Trap is placed so they don't screw over the Trapped Survivor.
3) Once the Trap is active, you should already know whether Tampered Timer is in play by seeing how fast the timer ticks down, so nothing changes in that regard.
I thought about changing the icon, but I was looking to provide an indication of TT before the Trap goes on. Maybe both?
I didn't know Mike opened his hand when running Tombstone. I very rarely ever see The Shape at all as Survivor and when I do they tend to be either Tuft or extended T3 without Tombstone ones. Rarely Mirror Myers.
Not that this information is very helpful, as if I'm in a position to notice his hand it is probably soon to be around my neck anyways.
Speaking of hands, onto the subject matter at hand.
I'm all for there being "tells" on what add-ons Killers are running that an astute player can spot, but I'd rather they not be too obvious so as to be eastly seen. So instead of the doll being on the clear other side of the box, which is very obvious, maybe have the timer on the box read 66:66 instead of 88:88 like it normally does. This means you can't see the clue from just the box aura and have to look at the box itself to even notice it.
That said I'm the sort of person that when I'm up against a Pig and she gives me a party hat I take it off as soon as I can, ignoring everything else until it's gone. If it's not currently ticking I'll let myself be healed but if that icon is red I'm going for boxes, even bloody, and as such I don't really worry about Tampered Timer myself.
When I see other people doing gens(!) or bones or chests with a trap on their head all I can think is "They must not value their life."
Personally, I don't think there is a gameplay benefit to making the tell super subtle, as it's still on the player to make the decision to act on it anyways regardless. Plus, there are multiple super obvious tells that alert Survivors to the Killer's identity before they even see them (Jigsaw Boxes, Pools of Devotion, sleep timers, chainsaw noises, loud Nurse screams, etc.), so I don't mind the tell being obvious as long as it only gives away this one specific add-on.