Legit question for the devs even if it was most likely not your call, why R.P.D instead of the town?
I know the R.P.D station is iconic in the the RE universe, but hell why not making a map INTO raccoon city instead of the police station? this is such an awful map for DBD, making a map within the town would have made much more sense and could have been modified properly for dbd, I know maybe it was most likely capcom that took this decision but hell why did you/they took this map over the city itself?
Comments
I'd guess that it was due to the fact that
1) As you said, it's one of RE's most iconic locations.
2) They already had the assets and layout needed for the map with the RE2 remake, choosing the city streets would require significantly more work seeing as the street sections of the newer games are rather small and therefore couldn't simply be recreated as a map in dbd.
Capcom was probably the one responsible for this. I want to believe the devs didn't want to do such a mess of a map willingly.