Standby: Idea for a new “general” perk available to both roles.
Standby
When equipped, Standby takes up a perk slot but has no effect in the game. Prior to the start of the match, Standby may be bound to to 2/3/4 other applicable* perks that are available to that character. During the match, you may select one of the bound perks and replace Standby with it.
*Not all perks are applicable to be bound with Standby - such as hex perks or perks that are deemed too strong.
I think something like this would lead to us seeing a wider variety of perks in the game - in particular those that are very useful, but too situational to generally be selected pre-match.
Comments
Eh, a mechanism for loading in perks mid-game sounds a bit too complicated, and very niche.
What sort of perks did you have in mind to be compatible with it?
If they're too strong, then it could be really broken. (wait until you get slugged to decide between Unbreakable or Decisive Strike, or wait until you find out if you're going against a Spirit to decide to load up Iron Will)
It kinda breaks the concept of perks altogether to be honest, as a loadout you prepare before going into the trial. I would say that any functionality that could or should be swapped out mid-game, could probably be covered by items. You can find these in chests, or swap them with other survivors. Maybe a better suggestion would be new items that do other things that some other perks do. We've just got a perk that mimics firecrackers, maybe an item that mimics something like... Adrenaline, Stim Pack: Instantly recovers one health state when the exit gates are powered, consumed on use. Or... Distortion, Talisman: hides your aura from killer aura reading perks, breaks when charges are depleted.
From a programming standpoint as to whether swapouts are possible, I suppose the devs would have to work that out.
But you make a really good point that this could be broken with strong perks. That’s why I wanted to put it in that some would be deemed too strong to be applicable. These s have the data to determine which ones these would be
The main idea here is to give some viability to the more niche perks. It’s Legion so let’s grab Autodidact or Solidarity. We got 3-genned, where’s my pebble?! I’ve gone all match with only 3 perks, but now it’s just me and the hatch is shut. I’d better load in Wake-up!
And remember, killers can use this as well! This flashlight SWF is ridiculous - time for Lightborn! Nobody is cleansing against my Plague, I think Bloodhound would help! Wow these gens are flying - it’s really getting me, ahem, Fired Up!
You get the idea. Some of the “applicable” perks will be moderately strong. Most of them will be the ones that don’t get a lot of use, but would still be nice to have (I have to say it) on Standby!